Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disk brakes lock up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by truckweld, May 29, 2002.

1. truckweld

truckweld Registered Member

Dec 24, 2001
    My disk brakes keep getting really hot and eventually lock up on me. My question is does it matter where the caliper is mounted. I did the disk brake conversion on the 14 bolt myself and am wondering. I read an artical on this page that said the caliper had to be facing the back of the vehicle. Could this be causing my problem. Would the lack of proportioning valve cause the brakes not to release. Thanks for the help
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Sounds like the brakes are dragging. Can you rotate the wheels easily if you have the truck on jacks? What brackets did you use? What rotors? Are the calipers centered over the rotor? Some brackets are designed to let you use a GM front rotor out back. Others require a Ford front rotor. The difference is about 1/4-inch or so of offset. Use the wrong bracket with a particular rotor and you'd have to really work to get the caliper even mounted.

Another question is what calipers are you using? Some of the later model Caddy calipers are too narrow to fit over a 3/4-ton rotor with new pads installed.