Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dismount/mount 42s...by yourself?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i know you usually need a machine for smaller tires, but could you do 42s by yourself without a machine? if so how? thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

when thay come in to my shop that big i cant fit them on a std machine. i do them by hand with the bars. and if 16.5 then supper easy.

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i dismounted my 33s by myself on 15" rims, wasn't easy but it can be done. Getting the 40s on those same rims was a breeze.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did my 37s by hand. I would think with that an extra 5" of sidewall it would be even easier.

Ira

5. muddybuddy

they are goin on 15" rims. im thinkin bout trying to do it mysef before i pay to have it done. what are some tips? thanks

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Come at 'em diagonally and jump on it to get the first bead over, use a couple of pry bars or tire spoons for the second. My 39.5's are easy but they've been on and off of rims before.

Also...the warmer it is, the easier it is to do...'course you live in Virginia so it's regularly over 20 degrees.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Lots O' lube:D. Make sure you lube the beads real well before you try it really helps them slide over the rim. Also I mounted mine with the rim facing up to allow the tire to sit in the dropwell to give me just the extra little bit of space.

EDIT: I mounted 37X12.5 MTRs on 15s with nothing more than the factory lug wrench and WD-40 for lube. i would recommend using a high concentration of soap and water or a silicon lubricant rather than oil based.

Ira

8. muddybuddy

alright ill prolly give it a shot this week then, as long as it stay warm (45*+) haha

9. mikey_d05

You'll be fine. I had to take my boggers off when it was 10 or so. Not fun in the least but it's doable. If all else fails, roll them inside your house and let 'em sit there for a while and warm up.

10. muddybuddy

is it really hard to break the bead? im jus afraid im gona ruin the tires haha

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used my jeep to drive up on some 37in maxxis trepadors to break the beads...

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'd done my old set of 42" swampers on and off a few times in their life. They're 16.5's but I had it down to about 10 minutes per mount. Dismounting was even faster, jump on the side walls they almost fall off the rim. good advise back there though, lots of lube on the bead. and use the drop center side of the rim to mount. learned that the hard way.

13. muddybuddy

what do you mean the drop center side? do you mean the outside of the rim?

14. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

look inside your rim. in between the beads on one side or the other will have a lower bottom. Thats the side you want to put into the tire first, so the 1st bead will have space move while you get the second bead on. You'll have to use use the ether-bomb to seat them though, it's quick. If theres a better way to seat them I'd like to hear about it.

15. mikey_d05

It's not THAT hard to break the beads. Difficult yes, but terrible no. I ended up driving our P-stroke onto the tires just because I was in a hurry but that doesn't mean it can't be done with more gentle techniques.

16. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

i tried drivin my moms trailblazer up on the tires to get the 33s to break off the bead...nothing at all. Ended up having to just pry it over slowly. I would just get the pry bar between the rim and tire and pry away. Work your way around about half the rim, just going back and forth if u can't find any other way. It may take a little while, but its not terrible.

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've mounted and dismounted my 42s with 15" rims. You'll work up a sweat, but it's definitely doable. Hardest part is breaking down, mounting is childs play compared to getting the MASSIVE bead loose, particularly on a 15x8 rim! :eek: Mounting only requires 2 tire irons (or similar tools). Dismounting requires 2 tire irons and something to break the bead. A high-lift, or tire on a vehicle can be used, but it is dangerous. I have a "tyre-pliers" that works well and is safe...

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did not have to use the ether bomb to seat mine. 12.5 on an 8 inch rim I just pushed down on the outer bead first and the inner bead stayed on the wider portion of the rim i.e. not the drop well side and I used my little MV-50 compressor from Kragen and it seated the beads just fine. I removed the valve core to get a little extra volume. If you are only using a 10 or 12 inch rim the beads should seat just fine. I would also set them on a bucket or something to let the weight of the tire help seat the outer bead.

Ira

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A mexican friend of mine mounted my spare using nothing more than a piece of 3/4" pipe, a piece of 1/2" rebar and some used motor oil. We used my crewcab to break the bead on the stock tire and after that he went to town.

20. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

do whatever you have to to get the 42's mounted, I wanna see 'em on the rig!