Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disney Trail Report ***PICS***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Mar 25, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

All I can say is...

WOW!

Oh yea, and I actually made it home in one piece! The truck gets about 11 miles to the gallon @ 75mph! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'll get some pics posted later today.

Finally,

WOW.

-Dan

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Re: Disney Trail Report

Dan, glad to see you made it home OK. I second that. "WOW" It was completely awesome and I had a blast!
    The organization on Mudzer's part was excellent and I want to thank him for all his efforts to put this on.
    I am ready for the next run!!!

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Dan,

Glad you made it home. We missed you Saturday night on the Midnight run. Steve Sharp took Bigdaddyof2, Mudzer (me), K5BLT4FUN and Blazer72 on a night run that was baaaad! I will disclose the info in the trip report. I need someone who drove the Yellow Monster Trail during the day to give me a trip report. I did not make that run because of a broken D44 U-joint. We did get it fixed for the Midnight run.

Just a quick note for all others interested and for Steve Fox. Ken Brubaker said this group was one of the best he had seen on a wheeling trip. I think we all attribute this to the fact that we get along here on the ColoradoK5 boards. We have created a pact that is noticeable by people watching us wheel. We constantly help each other when in need, people are spotting others through the wild stuff. We had many locals and thrill seekers who stopped along the highways and trail sides to watch us wheel. The flash never stopped from Brubaker's camera. I really like Brubaker, he is very down to earth and was a perfect person to have join our group. On the trails, we had Carnage in the form of a broken (Bob Engelbach twisted it in two!) rear driveshaft, Caved in Bedsides and Doors (SkulzNbonz did some damage), I managed to rip my soft top on a tree and the new 38's clearanced my fenders - had to change out a front axleshaft and my "Pop-Right" rear locker let go and made my 6 hour trip home a fun drive, Bigdaddyof2 popped a bead loose but aired it up with the help of a highlift jack and his new Kilby on-board air system, Blazer72 popped a power steering line and Steve Sharp broke a rear output yoke and did most of the trails in front wheel drive (gotta love rockwells and a twin stick doubler!). Several of the group tried the waterfall on spillway 2. That was killer! Just about all of the group tried a cool rock ledge near the flood gates on Spillway 2.

I hope everyone was happy with the prizes they received. Jeff Holsted, you need to contact Steve Frisbie to receive your t-shirt.

If you all have photos, please email them to me or post them on a webshots site. npickett@burnsmcd.com

I would like to thank everyone who made this run successfull. We all did our part in making it a fun time.

A note to Dan, please email me with your shipping address so I can mail out your prize.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup93>Here</a> are a few pictures I took at the first waterfall.
    Mudzer, I will email all the digital pictutes I took.

5. KRAZIE87K5

Neil-

First, I would like to say that I also believe that without all your effort, this trip would not have been nearly as flawless as it was. So thank you for your time and hard work to make last weekend one of the best weekends I have had in a real long time.

Second, sorry I missed everyone for the midnight run on Sat. night. After making taking that trail (in the daylight), I had the chance to rip off the passenger side of my truck on rocks and trees, felt like I was going to tip the rig over on its side 4 or 5 times, and to top all that off, I over heated on the trail right before I had to climb the final stone trail. Once we got the truck cooled back down some, we started off again. I thought that we were just going to get to the top, and then turn around and travel the same trail back again! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I was stressing out somethin' fierce out there!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thank God that all the return trail is the high path with some descents and a few tight squeezes between a few trees. I was too glad to see that final "entrance" hill where we had left the other trucks behind. I got over that as quick as possible, and sped outta there quick as I could - so I could go back to the (real) Grand Lodge and change my pants!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/blush.gif After all that, I was too exhausted mentally to tackle any more trails for that day... I was completely wiped.

To anyone that has some pics of that run, please let me know if you have any shots of my truck on its side. If there is any film of my truck out there, I would gladly pay to have a copy of all film sent my way. I really didn't think of taking pictures while I was wetting my pants... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Special thanks to Lane, who turned over a big @ss log in the middle of that trail for me. I had a real fun time convincing the truck to get over that one!!!

What I learned?
    1. I need a D60 locker!
    2. I can't get my new sliders, and bumpers on quick enough!
    3. I need to ditch the electrical fan setup, and go old fashioned
    4. Finally, when things are looking real bad, pick your line, line it up, close your eyes, AND FLOOR IT. (Hoping for the best is optional!!!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Later on, I will have a list of all the carnage that I have discovered on my truck after getting home... the list is getting pretty long... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Thanks Neil, and everyone else that was there! This was the best offroad experience I have had to date. I am glad to say that I was there.

-Dan

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Are we setting up a webshots site for pics?

BIGJ

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I second the "WOW". Helluva a trip!!! Thank God all I ended up w/ was body damage. I'm really impressed w/ what a stock K5 can do, but this will be the last real run I do like that!!! I've got a boat-load if pics that I have to get scanned in. Dan, I have got some good pics of you at Spillway #2 (I think that's the place). Also got some real good pics of Steve Frisbie and Keith Payne (Predator). Hats off to Neil for organizing this run, and everybody for making it a really good time and helping a stocker make it through!!!!

John

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This was your first run since build up wasn't it?
    In about a week you will be ready to go again /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    My truck has been down for close to 2 months and I'm Jonesing bad! Get my new tires today. Some time on a ramp this weekend to check some changes I made and I'm ready for a trail!

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The run ROCKED!!! I'm still exhausted and that was just from watching and walking..

Thanks to everybody. The group was amazing, you felt like you knew everyone for years even if you had only been there for about 10 minutes.

I did learn a few VERY important lessons though.
    1: I NEED A 60
    2. I NEED BUMPERS
    3: I NEED ROCKER GUARDS
    4: I REALLY NEED TO PUT THE GAS TANK SKIDPLATE BACK ON!!!!!!
    5: My spotting SUCKS (right SkullzandBonz /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )
    6: BUMPSTEER SUCKS /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I was able to learn alot of stuff this weekend and can't wait to get back down there. I may have to make a few more trips down there this summer. The drive back was nice, the drive down was a little too quick (right Daniel, sorry)

All in all, it was really nice to meet everybody and enjoy a great time. Hell, watching Steve Sharpe and Russ play was worth it.

Look forward to the next trip.

10. SkulzNBonz

Kyle, if I was 4 inches taller your spotting would have been perfect, and I would not have gotten the "Trail Damage" award or the new hubs!!! Hell, you got me over the damn thing!!!! Lift, lockers, 14 bolt, tube bumpers, and sliders are in my near future as a necessity. Man, if you are going to play, you had better be prepared to pay.

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If it makes you feel any better, I was on my way out following Daniel and slipped of a nice little ledge that left a softball sized dent in my gas tank. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I still feel pretty bad about your bumper. One good thing about it, I made your first scratch of the day real easy, it was downhill from there /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Kyle, no apologies needed on my behalf. I thought the day was perfect. Best run I have ever been on. Luckily no damage on mine except where the tires met the fenders up close and personal.

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

One thing about your rig man, you weren't afraid to go play. It seemed like everytime I turned around you were off climbing something new. The rush is on though, I've got some skidplating to take care of and the next time down you'll be leaving me. 4.88's are going in as soon as I get a chance. 4.10's just aren't gonna cut it.

Glad you made it home okay. We pulled in the driveway about 6:30. Tired but too excited to go to sleep for about two days.

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I had a great time as well. I got to see some kool cats and some sweet rides. Everything to CLEAN one ton RED AND WHITE K5 to a 72 with 44’s and 2.5 on ton axles, to some STOCK rides. We must pass along the STOCK S-10 that tried to go UP the water fall!! And the FREAK in the tube RX-7 on 2 Unimog front axles. Had a great time on the night run, that I did not drive, with Steve S. and Neil. I would have to say the only down fall was the Bar in Ketchem did not have OLIVES!! If they would have I might have got up and sang a song or two!
    Can't what till next year. And if any one is going to OK again let us all know!!!

15. SkulzNBonz

No need to apoligize to me either. I bought the K5 for one reason, and it ain't to pose :-)!!! I had a great time, and am ready to get after it again. I was a little apprehensive about even going to Disney, being all but stock, so I'm actually pleased that all I screwed up was some sheetmetal. I had a good time, and meeting alot of y'all made it even better. Really a cool bunch of people, willing to help out no matter what.

16. KRAZIE87K5

Thanks Kyle! I had so much fun! I wish I could have just drove all day, and ever stopped! I learned so much about the trucks abilities last weekend. I have a renewed sense of respect for that thing.

And once the bumpers, sliders, and front locker are installed, I will be climbing anything with a vengence! I can't wait! I would hop in the truck right now, and drive back there to do it again anytime.

But I like the sound of having hext year's Spring Thing is Attica... its only 4 hours away!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

And once the bumpers, sliders, and front locker are installed, I will be climbing anything with a vengence! I can't wait! I would hop in the truck right now, and drive back there to do it again anytime.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm with ya, I'm starting the bumpers and sliders this week.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But I like the sound of having hext year's Spring Thing is Attica... its only 4 hours away!!!

<hr></blockquote>
    for you maybe /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Disney is only about an hour and a half for me

If I can get everything built for my truck in the next month or so I'm heading back down there to try some more stuff.

I've gotta admit, I was getting a little worn out about my truck and constantly working on it but after saturday, I'm fired up again. I swear I felt like I was riding with about 50 of my closest friends.

18. WakeBoard&4X4er

I was mostly stock as well with 4 inch blocks (rear)/springs (front) and 33. There where times i had some un-easy feelings. Mostly in the rock garden (not that i was in there that long)

19. SkulzNBonz

I know what you mean. I came down hard on some rocks!!! I was waiting fo one to go through a diff. cover or the tranny pan. Just picked a path that looked good and went for it. After a while, I stopped worrying.

20. WakeBoard&4X4er

LOL, Ask my spotter, BIGRIG, i did not ever stop worrying!!!