Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disposable society

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 30, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm off to buy a new chain for my chainsaw instead of sharpening the old one.
    Sharpening kit - $6.99
    New Chain - $12.99

:D :D :doah: :doah:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I throw away paint rollers because I feel it isn't worth the time to clean them.
    I place such a high value on my time, that I end up wasting many things.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you have a chainsaw file, Ratch? I sharpen my chain ever time I pull the saw out to use it. If you keep on top of it you can make a chain last a long time. The chain on my Husky is 3 years old and has bucked up over a dozen cords of firewood as well as dropping dozens of BIG trees for both the neighbors and myself.

4. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I just use a round file and each tooth gets 5 strokes each tank of gas. I learned from a pro tree faller.

5. Can Can

Yup, that's pretty much what I do as well. :thumb:

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tree killer.

7. Can Can

Yep......

Better than being a bark eater.:deal:

8. cbbr

I love to cut/burn wood myself, I just figured that I would stir up some s**t since I can't talk about toolboxes or Jesus anymore.:D

9. Can Can

Who said you couldn't talk about toolboxes? Sounds like a safe topic to me..........

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have a round stone that I just chuck up in the cordless. Also have the round files for when I'm at home and want a good sharpen.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hee-hee

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Omfg!!!!!!!!!:haha: :haha: :haha:

13. cbbr

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

File it..

I use a file on my saws chains after a cord or so of wood,or if I hit a nail ot dirt with it..new chains are nice though,nothing like the first few cuts with a brand new chain!..

I wish I could find a new bar and chain fot my "Mini-Mac" Mculloch chain saw..its 1/4" pitch and kinda rare..saw 2 brand new bars on E-bay that would fit for a minumun bid of 3.99,abt someone bid 5 bucks at the last minute and won the auction..:mad: ..I am going to try not to spend more than 10 bucks on a used one or a parts saw from a flea market,since the saw isn't worth a whole lot..but I hate to toss it out,it runs pretty darn good still..

I asked at our landfill if they ever get any hot water heaters very often (been thinking of using the tank from one to replace the 55 gallon drum stove's barrel when it finally rots through,they are WAY thicker!)..the guy says "just come here before 8am--we get at least 4 of them nearly every day!..and many have only been replaced because many landlords do it after they buy an apartment building,and are switching to gas in favor of oil or electric!..what a waste!.:(

I know a few folks who have used the hot water tank for compressed air tanks too!:eek1: ..not sure that such a good idea!..other guys I know have also hooked them up to baseboard heat, with an old circulator pump, to heat their garages..

All I want is to burn wood in it!..have to get a few and gut them,and hope I can score one that isn't galvanized..they give off harmful fumes I've heard..best to throw them back in the metal pile and keep searching...plenty of stuff "in stock" at the landfill!..people throw out a lot of GOOD stuff there,almost as much as there is JUNK!...:screwy:

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

home depot, orchard, and lowes all sell replacement bars and chain. Oregon brand. If you find any old water heaters with copper tanks, take 'em and scrap 'e. Copper prices are way up there nowadays.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha:
    :thumb: :thumb: :waytogo:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I looked!..

I tried all the usual places like Lowe's,Home Depot,Sears,etc..they only have the ones for later saws like Poulans amd Husky,Stil,Craftsman,etc..nobody makes them anymore for the 1/4" pitch chain that I know of..a 3/8" pitch chain used to be available with the matching sprocket and bar as an upgrade kit..I'll probably find a saw for parts at a flea market or yard sale,but by then mine probably will be junk from sitting!..:doah:

I don't think I'll have to worry about finding any free copper water tanks..the landfill operators hoard most of the "Good" scrap,load it in their own pickups and cash it in at the scrapyard themselves..they are their best customers!..I bet they get as much for scrap as they get in their usual paycheck.

.Copper is a dollar a pound roughly--crackheads are sawing copper tubing out of brand new homes under construction around here..They are also asking for any free batteries they can get their hands on..using an econobox and a utility trailer,they haul them to upstate NY and sell them for 5+ bucks each..they pay nothing here at all for them..I guess its worth doing if you can get enough of them,and get them up there cheaply somehow....:crazy:

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

If your gonna sharpen your chain yourself from the begginig of its life to the end, you really need to get a raker gauge and file the rakers too. Thats why new chain, or one thats be professionally sharpened always cuts better than one thats just been hit with a round file. Most people don't know to sharpen the rakers. Properly filed rakers make a BIG difference.

19. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I am completely lost on the toolbox thing!?!?!

20. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i just do a quick buzz with the cut off wheel to each cutter, and good as new.

i have a McCulloch saw as well, the 3.4ci 20" Timber Bear. its a good saw, just hard to find parts for since McCulloch is no longer.