Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disposing of old gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Mar 17, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Where might I be able to take old gas drained from a gas tank to be disposed of? I'm talking about 20 gallons or so

Hell of a bond fire /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

start your charcoal grille w/ it. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Recycling centers around here take auto fluids, not sure on gas, may try givin them a call.

3. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

check the places that scrap cars.Around here they have tank to suck out the gas on junkers.Many of then burn it and waste oil for heat.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We use it to burn trash and wood, once it warms up a little we will start doing yard work, I got about 3 gallons of old gas and 2 cycle fuel... put down all the old newspapers soak them in gas, stack wood, drizzle gas back about 10 feet and throw matches at the fuse /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I thought that's what GOD created fire ant mounds for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. big pappa b

I'm at a little disadvantage here. I live in military base housing. They're not big on fires, we have no ant hills and I like my eyebrows too nuch to light my grill with it. Guess I'll check salvage yards /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

you guys forgot to add its a great weed killer in your yard. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I’ve heard if you pick a sunny day and pour it on the driveway it evaporates real fast./forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

y dont u just take it to the auto hobby shop???

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i use it my push mower,but 20 gallons and a military base. i dought thats gonna work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    y dont u just take it to the auto hobby shop???

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that, the one here at Quantico has a tank for old fuel.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Light the neighboors cat on fire /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just kidding... get rid of some junk and have a bonfire. Make sure to have a bucket of water in case it gets wild /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Where might I be able to take old gas drained from a gas tank to be disposed of? I'm talking about 20 gallons or so

Hell of a bond fire /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Poor alittle on the concrete, through a match in it, it if lites, mix alittle in with each tank, with gas prices today, .... well, you know what I mean.

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

save it for lawn mower and such thats what i do, maybe mix in a little new gas if youre paranoid

15. big pappa b

Just an update....
    Instead of doing the right thing by dropping the tank and dumping the old gas I just added about 5 gallons of new to the other 10 or so of old gas...it aint working. All it did was cost me $10 leave me stuck in the middle of a couple intersections on the way to and from the tire shop. Kind of embarrasing actually. I would go to take of and just as it would get moving it would start sputtering, cough and die. Only managed to piss off a fe wpeople that were behind me trying to get thru to intersections. They had to wait for the next light. It moves really well when you launch from the light /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Next step is to call the auto hobby shop to see if they have a disposal tank otherwise I go for a midnight black ops dumping run /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Hope the nature conservancy doesnt find out /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

story here

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i think you should have added more new gas, and maybe some additives to it (cleaner, heet, stp, octane boost ect) and then just drive it around or let it idle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A friend of mine that runs a salvage yard gets free gas from another recycling yard down the road from him--they drain the gas tanks of the junkers while up on the forklift by punching a hole in the tank with an air chisel,and fill 55 gallon drums with it,he uses an electric fuel pump and a fuel filter with a water seperator built in to help get the dirt and water out.It costs the yard about 100 dollars to dispose of one drum full of gas,so they are not hesitant to give it away--he uses it in his personal vehicles and the equipment in the yard without much trouble--he has plugged a few filters now and then,but he hasn't spent a dime on gas for over a year!.I notice if you leave the gas sitting in the barrel overnight that any water and dirt settles to the bottom,when he pumps it out he puts the hose near the top of the gas in the barrel,this avoids pumping the crappy stuff into his tank.
    I'm suprised a military base doesnt have a disposal site on base--some of the worst pollution on cape cod is at otis air force base,where they dumped thousands of gallons of jet fuel and diesel,also many artillery shells and gunpowder are buried there too! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Our local landfill will accept drain oil and gas,but I think they would rather have drain oil--the bucket for used gas is usually a couple of 5 gallon gas cans,while the waste oil barrels are 55 gallon drums-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifat todays prices I'd strain it out and burn it in my truck,but I would use a big water separator type filter like a diesel has to help prevent clogging anything--all told my friend hasnt had too much trouble,mostly because he lets it settle for a day or so,and filters it when its pumped into his truck.He estimates he's saved at least 600 bucks on gas so far--cost him about 20 bucks for new gas filters. He said someone told him adding mothballs or naptha will restore some of its volatility,if the gas is stale--hasnt tried it yet because he hasnt gotten much stale gas--most of the cars dont sit long in this salvage yard,and they drain the tank as soon as the cars come in.You might try the local landfill or transfer station and see if they have a waste oil and gas site--most towns do.

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always save old gas for lawnmowers sometimes you need ot mix it with soem new gas it depends,
    and can be good for washing parts and hands and tools and such, it will evaporate quickyl usually so just lay it outside some pans and it will go bye bye sooner or later, soak it all into railroad ties or logs and burn them,

all oils go to local walmart or oil change shops,

and gas and antifreeze i get creative with,

old antifreeze is good for demo derby cars and such, screen it and pour it in it iwl be lost on the ground out there anyways you can spill all you want and EPA doesnt say crap, im surprised

you can rid of all fluids if you just think about it, there are plces and uses for any old fluid somewhere

with oil filters EPA says you have to leave them drain out til they are done and then you can toss in dumpster, thats pretty lax IMHO but currently thats all is required at least here anyways, drain and toss in trash, personally i think they should be shredded and recycled, but oh well, they arent yet,

hobby shops dont exist anywhere, ive never heard of one, someoen must live in an interesting area, especialyl a hobby shop that will take automobile fluids ? that seems insane and crazy

i do not recommend burning it, safety and legal reasons

you can find alot better ways to get rid of it, if you got like 20 gallons of it then i doubt its not good enough to burn in a small engine especially if mixed with newer gas

good luck

19. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

hobby shops dont exist anywhere, ive never heard of one, someoen must live in an interesting area, especialyl a hobby shop that will take automobile fluids ? that seems insane and crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

They have hobby shops on most military bases. Technically you aren't alowwed to do any kind of automobile work in base housing and you should use the base "hobby shop" facilities. Basically it is a garage that has bays and tools you can use with mechanics on staff to help you with problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. big pappa b

just another bonus to the military life...in addition to the $3 a day.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    ok, it's a little more than that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif