Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dispute over military hummer vs. my truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Nov 18, 2005.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

me and my friend are having a discussion over the capability of a humvee vs my truck. my truck consists of an 86 chevy p/u longbed w/ a built 383 roller vortec motor w/ full msd and truck avenger carb. th400 tranny, 208, 14 ff detroit 4.56, d60 lockrite 4.56 crossover steering, 39 in boggers, bds suspension lift w/ ord reverse shackles, hill offroad extended shackles in the front w/ zero rate that moved the axle forward 1.5 inches. relocated rear shocks, and a mile marker hydraulic winch off a humvee (i used to be a humvee mechanic). when we say hmvee we mean the gen 1 hummer w/ the 6.2 diesel. please inform us on why one would be better than the other. pros and cons. thanks alot.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The truck would be superior in every way except for possibly higher COG.

Edit: ditch the carb and my statement stands :wink1:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can beat him in a drag race. :D

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think the hummers are pretty good for a stock form vehicle.. for certain types of uses, but they certainly are no match for a well built rig. Not even close.

5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well if you dont have a snorkle he would beat you in a under water race. :D

6. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

the 3 features that would make me keep a HMMWV over a built truck are the CTIS, low center of gravity, and high center clearance. Otherwise there's just way too many drawbacks.

Easily high-centered, too wide for trails, too heavy, too slow, too low, no lifts, costly to buy AND maintain

7. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

hummers were built to do PRETTY good in ALL terrains without being too extreme, and they do exactly what they were built to do. They have good clearance, low COG, lots of things we all want...but stock tires leave something to be desired, 6.2 in something THAT heavy isn't the best choice...

Your rig would be better overall than a stock hummer...now if one had a big block gas motor, some 40" swampers, lots of comparable things, then it would be a challenge, but for now about the only thing he would have you beat in is under the diff clearance and low COG...

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Another thing is that the HMMVs aren't all upgraded with all the stuff they say they have. I'm in a Special Operations unit, and our HMMVs suck big time. Open diffs, no winch, tired engines. Because Special Forces get to bend the rules a little, while in Iraq we did have Swampers on there! :D But then some General somewhere caught wind and got his panties all in a bunch. Now they took away our Swampers. :doah:

9. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you mean trails and having fun then the truck wins. However in iraq I had 11 Marines in each hummer with everything they had in packs on the things. Plus a couple hundred pounds of engineer tools, 400-500 lbs of demo, 3 days of food and water plus all the weapons and ammo for each. That would have a trail truck dragging its frame on the deck.

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Funny this thread came up. My Ford buddy believes that an original hummer could beat my truck off road. I try and try to explain to him why it would wouldn't even come close, but he refuses to believe me. Dumbass FURD owner. Your truck would school the hummer easily!

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Saw this while surfing.............

Engine is a ARP built Chevrolet 502 ZZ, 642Hp, 878 NM, 11:1 comp. Autronic fuel injection, roller cam + 44" Boggers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Humvee1 Humvee2

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Both trucks have their good points and bad points. Depends on what you are talking about. Having spent time in a HMMWV back in my Army days, I can tell you that they can By God do some wheeling..................

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

ALL HMMWVs have the Torsen torque sensing differential front and rear. It's a good traction aid differential for what the Army does. Utilizes worm gears, no friction plates. You can't feel it through the steering wheel and does not produce any handling quirks.
    Most (99.9%) of all the Army HMMWVs do NOT run CTIS. CTIS is an add-on modification (MWO) that some units can add if they desire. CTIS is regarded as a curse imposed on us in the Ordance Branch (mechanics). See various rants I've made in the past about CTIS. Funny someone mentioned weight capacity. After adding about a 1500 pounds of "HardOx" ballistic armor, troops, spare, 50 cal and ammo, our HHMWVs looked like the were refugees from an apocolypse circle track (down on the bump stops).

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

People constantly get in arguments with me telling me H1s are the greatest offroad vehicle EVER. I just :rolleyes: and let them go.

15. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Hey, thats a norwegian H1, it competes in trial and I've seen it several times: Awesome Machine ! (It just got stolen, though.. :mad:)

16. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Very, very nice. I wonder how a hummer drivetrain would hold up to 44" boggers?
    As for the arguement, I think your truck wins hands down for most any normal application :bow:

17. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Uh.....the Hummer on 44's wins :bow: But a stock one can't hang with you in most situations.

18. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

How do you steal something as unique as that? It's not like you could hide it if you actually wanted to use it. You'd have to ship it overseas.

19. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Its a Norwegian truck. Not from North America. Chop shop= parts long gone

20. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Good point, the thieves broke through his $50000 alarm system and picked it up from his garage. Im guessing a rich ass mafia boss from Eastern Europe or something, just ordered it. :mad: