Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distance between frame rails

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cj7jeep81, Jun 10, 2004.

1. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of replacing the bed floor in my '78 K10, and one of the rear crossmembers needs to be replaced (looks like the previous owner tried to tow a tank or something with it). It is pulled out and pretty messed up.
    I measured the distance from the outside of one rail to the outside of the other near the cab and it is 34". At the back, it is about 33 1/4".
    Do the frame rails get closer together towards the back, or is it messed up?
    Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

all 3 of mine measured at 34.25.

muddytazz just ran out and measured his at 34" (thanks for doing so jeff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

3. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'll replace it and make sure its the same distance apart as everywhere else.

4. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I got the crossmember of, and attempted to spread the frame rails back out with a highlift jack. I managed to open it up another 1/2" or so, but I'm not confident on getting it to open the rest of the difference. Do you think the difference will cause any problems? Its been off by the 3/4 of an inch for a long time, with no apparent issues, but since I'm finally rebuilding it, I want to do it right.

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

know anybody with a winch and a telephone pole???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif thats how I straightened the frame on wrecked pickemup truck

6. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    know anybody with a winch and a telephone pole???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif thats how I straightened the frame on wrecked pickemup truck

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I'll go quite that far. I'm not too worried about it (since it isn't much, and hasn't caused any problems I'm aware of). I figure if I can get it within 1/4-1/2 inch, it should be close enough.

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all 3 of mine measured at 34.25.

muddytazz just ran out and measured his at 34" (thanks for doing so jeff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifmeasured my '84k10 the other day for a reese hitch(34"_also,try heating the frame with a torch and using a bottle jack and two chunks of 4x4 between the frame rails.kinda like 'dis...[|-|](brackets are framerails,vertical lines are 4x4's,horizontal line is bottle jack)if you go too far,a little more heat and a ratchet strap will bring it back together.

8. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. Next time I get a chance to work on it, I'll try to get it as close as I can.