Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distr. delay valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

Does anyone know what the distr. delay valve does? It is found in the vacuum wiring between the ported vacuum switch and the vacuum advance. Is it a directional valve in which there is a specific direction it needs to be connected? The vehicle is a 1984 GMC K1500 305. Thanks for any help.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

just as it says..

It delays the vacuum to the advance for a few seconds..why they felt it was nessasary is beyond me--its mostly for emission reduction ,I'd dare say it actually reduces power and mileage if you asked me!..I had a few 250 camelhumper 6 cylinders that had them..I'm not sure if they are "directional",like a check valve is..might be,they are 2 different colors on each end..I'll try to see if any of my books go into more detail about them if you'd like..I took mine off,they are sitting in a drawer in my tool box.:whistle:

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Along those same lines, does anyone know of a good source for factory vacuum circuit diagrams books, my case 1985?

4. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

The Chilton's manual just has copies of the hood sticker vacuum diagram. Do you think the delay valve will cause any damage if it is hooked up incorrectly? Thanks

5. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Yeah the ones I experimented with were directional, got em off ford trucks. Couldnt feel a diff one way or the other seat 'o the pants. I have mine in a bin somewhere.