Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributer For Caddy 500 Swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jrraw23, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jrraw23

jrraw23 Registered Member

I am about to swap a caddy 500 into my 85, my question is can I use the distributer from my 350 on the caddy motor? Or will it not be enough for the larger motor? Reason I ask is beacause visually the distributer on my caddy and my 350 look identical and I have an aftermarket accel coil and wires that i would like to use on the caddy if possible.

Thanks

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If it fits, you can use it. Just make sure the gears are cut the same direction, since the Chevy is in the back of the engine and the Caddy is in the front.

3. jrraw23

Well the main thing I really want to use is the coil and wires cause they're the nice aftermarket ones so I guess i could just swap those over and not worry bout the actual dizzy?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Cap, rotor, and coil are the same. So is the pickup coil, control module, wiring harness and RFI condenser. Wires will probably be different lengths, though. Possibly different boots, also.

Just make sure the springs and weights move freely (but not sloppy) and that the shaft isn't loose in its bore.

5. jrraw23

Saweet, preciate it man, will do.

6. dangerzone

dangerzone Registered Member

I have done this swap many times and the distributer from a chevy will not fit the cap,rotor, and other internals are the same but the length of the shaft is different. Also just as a warning if you plan on turning more than 4200-4400rpm upgrade the rockers. The stock t-posts will not hold up.

7. jrraw23

ok I mean like I said the main thing was I wanted to use the coil cause its an aftermarket accel coil and wires not neccesarily the whole distributer.

Yea I heard these motors don't like high rpms, what do these motors normally tach to? Like my 350 redlines at 4000 on the guage and max is 5000, is that how the 500 is? Sounds like it, if thats the case wouldnt pushing it beyond the 4000 mark be bad for it ie: redlining it?

8. dangerzone

The 500 normally redlined at 4200. I would not take it past that mark without improved valve springs and rocker arms. Try to keep the cruising rpm around 2200-2600. These motors are torque monsters and like to pull and not rev. It will actually perform better if it lugs than to wrap it out. If you don't already have the motor don't be afraid of the 472 either. They are great motors also. I have built several and have always felt the 472 ran better. You will have to make motor mounts and possibly get an oilpan from an eldorado to fit in your frame.

9. jrraw23

Preciate the tips man, yea I already have the 500 so I'm gonna slap it in, def will keep the rpms down below that mark then.

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I knew there was a reason a used 425 dizzys in my 472s. :o

So let me ask you this: Can you just swap the shaft? Is the body the same?
    It's been more than a few years since I worked on a Caddy motor.
    I miss them. :(

[​IMG]

11. dangerzone

I'm not sure if you can just swap shafts I've never tried that. The caddy distributers are pretty easy to find though.