Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributer Gear Breakage on 350 Chev????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave1, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

A friend of mine has an early model Chev 350 truck engine that has stripped the distributer gear or broken the pin that holds the gear on a couple of times in the last few years. Any idea what causes this and can it be cured? Thanks, Dave

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Is he running a high pressure oil pump?

3. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

I don't know about the oil pump for certain but if I had to guess I would say no on the high presure pump. How is the oil pump related to the dist gear problem??? Thanks, Dave

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The oil pump is driven off the end of the distributor shaft, and therefore it is driven by the distributor gear. A high pressure pump takes a lot more torque to turn, and can cause problems with the distributor gear.

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I agree. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I built my motor, but I am running a high volume oil pump with a new bottom end with very tight bearing clearances...not the best choise. I am getting very high oil pressures and I'm sure it is causing excess distributor gear wear. Until I change out the pump, I'm being carefull to warm the engine before I run any high rpms and I am also running thin (5w-30) oil.
    One more thought....are you running a roller cam? If so, check the distributor gear. It should be a bronze gear to be compatible with the billet steel gear on the cam. A standard cast gear on the distributor would wear prematurely against a billet roller cam gear.

6. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Unless its got a gear pressed on to run a standard dist gear. GM also runs melonized gears from the fact. for rollers. The arnt as soft as bronze. I would bet on a oil pump problem or is he running 50w through his motor and not warming things up before he romps on things? Also what is he replacing it with. Is he shearing pins or wearing the gear?

I put a rebuilt dist in my truck once and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start. I trouble shooted everything and tracked it down to no spark. After doing lots of trouble shooting I turned over the motor with the cap off and the rotor wasnt spinning. You dont know fun untill you try to pull the fallen dist gear out that hole in your manifold /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It sheared the pin on start up.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You dont know fun untill you try to pull the fallen dist gear out that hole in your manifold /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It sheared the pin on start up.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehehe, i know some fun, but not that fun, at least not yet so far., i wish i had a better memory of some of the insane things i have been in middle of as far as vehicle repairs go..
    i think ive blocked them out for good reason ! most recently things like another van drivetrain removal in gravel, 86 chevy truck outside door latch rod and clip reintall at the doro latch assembly, R and R of 88 firebird fuel tank on tornado storm day last week or whatever, outside, in gravel, on a hill, broken floor jack so used cherry picker to lift car up, hail, rain, crap..

happy wrenching !@

8. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I had the problem in the stock 250 in my Nova. I noticed that the NAPA distributor I put in had a cheap looking roll pin. I got a good quality roll pin from an industrial hardware supply and it never did it again.