Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtyburb, Jul 1, 2004.

1. dirtyburb

dirtyburb Registered Member

4 wires coming form the side, prpl/wht, tan, white, red/black. These wires hook into the computer for the carb I need to know if there is a way to run the distributor without the comp. I really need help with this because I can’t afford a new one. thanx in advance

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What year distrubutor and Carb ? Is it swapped into your truck. Your profile says 1976 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i assume you have the older large cap HEi with coil inside cap,

that is an 80-86 years EST distrib

electonic advance, no mechanical advance, it has to be connected to ECM to advance, and the carb has to still be the electornic control carb too, Ie entire system needs to be intact for timing and everything to work right,

or if you dont want it all then swap HEI and carb for 79-older ones, or ones off of heavier GVW truck, they did not get as much emission equipment, including EST system

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

EST yes you need system . ESC on the other hand has mechanical weights and can run without CCC Q-Jet . I ran ESC HEI ( have in box ) originally and took it off for 1976 Nova HEI . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dirtyburb

thanx i guess i will have to spring for the distributor, the only advantage to selling auto parts, and i have another carb. the burban is a 76 3/4 ton i bought it with no tranny and transfer case and a blown 400sb. it is now getting a 305 (until i rebuild the 400)th350, and np205, the top is /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif from the driver back

6. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 83 had the ESC distributor you have with a purely mechanical carb. I didn't trust the ESC computer, so I disconnected that connector and made it into a normal vac/centrifugal system. The only trick is that two of the pins need to be connected together at the end of the connector for it to run. If you need to know, I can go look at it for you.

7. dirtyburb

could you please look at it for me i cant really afford the new one, ive been looking for a good used one out of a 78-79 but cant seem to to find one so any help would be appericated

8. Mastiff

Hmm, maybe we have different distributors. Here's the pic anyway, maybe it'll help:

[​IMG]

It runs with brown connected to yellow and black connected to green.

9. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Hate to come into this so late but am having much the same issue and hope to get some clearification.
    I'm replacing the stock distrib. that has the same computer controled timing and a mechanical (vacume) advance with a Mallory with only mechanical advance. They tell me there are no aftermarket distribs. with the ESC (??) connection shown in the above photo. What happens if I just don't plug in the computer to the new Distrib.?

10. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Hate to come into this so late but am having much the same issue and hope to get some clearification.
    I'm replacing the stock distrib. that has the same computer controled timing and a mechanical (vacume) advance with a Mallory with only mechanical advance. They tell me there are no aftermarket distribs. with the ESC (??) connection shown in the above photo. What happens if I just don't plug in the computer to the new Distrib.?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean about connecting the computer? I would think the mallory would have no such connector anyway. If your 84 is like my 83, the only issue is whether the distributor will function correctly with the ESC thingy unplugged. Your aftermarket distrib should be fine I think.

Is your carb computer controlled? In 83, the only wire going to the carb was to heat the choke coil.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    4 wires coming form the side, prpl/wht, tan, white, red/black. These wires hook into the computer for the carb I need to know if there is a way to run the distributor without the comp. I really need help with this because I can’t afford a new one. thanx in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to see a picture of the CCC that you think you have. Nobody has been able to prove they have on on a truck. We know there were on cars and a slight possiblinty thaty made iot on som Claifornia 86 trucks but nobody has acttually confirmed they have seen one.

Now what you probably have is mixture contored version. There is a electrical conection on the passengerside top front of the carb that connects to a thermostaically controled device that will change the mixture some as the truck warms. It does not have a computer.

Some ESC's do indeed have a vacum pot. The ESC also uses a knock sensor and if it sees ping/detonation it will retard the timing. That's what you have and it was on the early pre FI 80's trucks.

Scrap it if the emmsions nazies are not going to shoot you.
    Get a distributor from say a 79. It will be the straight up HEI with Vac advance and drop right in and still use the same coil and cap.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's in the parts manual, and I myself have seen the system on a truck in the wrecking yard.

If the carb has two electrical connectors, one on passenger side top, other drivers side front, (excluding choke connector) it's CCC.

may have to cut/paste this URL

By the way, for the original poster, if this is a CCC truck, you'll have to replace the carb as well.