Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jan 4, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey all, put the distributor in my 496 today, its getting close /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif , anywho, its leaning but its completely down. Its leaning to the driver side, like if ur lookin at the front of the truck and sat a ball on the distributor cap, it would roll off the drivers side of the cap. Its sitting down completly what gives? Is it supposed to lean just a bit or did I f something up? Thanks. Chris.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

is the whole engine leaning? or maybe the truck? maybe your heads crooked?? LOL JK of course..shouldnt lean..shaft bent??

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what is a 496 ?

and what mounts did it take to stick one in the truck ? i figure it has something to do with that, also if you look at this pic http://community.webshots.com/photo/87233192/92589635HBmsFz it looks like the dizzy opening boss is crooked towards driver side of engine anyways, intake looks to be machined crooked

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

A 496 is a stroked 454 dude. And i just noticed this on my big block a couple weeks ago when it was on the stand. the distibutor leans toward the centre of the engine. I was curious and it does on my buddys 350 too. you just dont notice it unless its out on a stand.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

mines in the truck, its raining out or id go take a pic of it, maybe ill take one tomorow when i get home from school. I think on mine, since i had to put my TB on a spacer to clear my valve covers it may be a partial optical allusion w/ the roundness of the back of the tbi.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

k20, that doesnt look all that bad..id be more than apt to crank the motor with no fuel connected and as the dist turns, listen for any binding in the shaft gears with a stethescope (6 bucks at autozone/harbor freight)..
    it looks ok to me..id let it ride.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif