Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distributor cap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shooter, Oct 29, 2001.

1. shooter

shooter Registered Member

I have an 85 Blazer with a 350. The ignition is hei but the coil is seperate from the cap. Can I just put an hei cap and coil assy on or do I have to change the distributor?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

By saying the coil is seperate are you sayng that it has an aftermarket coil, like a MSD or Accel coil? or a stock looking Chevy set up? But if it is a stock HEI then yes a standard HEI cap and coil should fit.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Later HEI's don't have the coil integral with the cap. Instead, the coil is mounted on top of the intake manifold, with a high tension wire to the center post of the cap. The cap diameter on these is smaller, so it won't interchange with the coil-on-cap style distributors. However, you can get hotter coils for both designs so I don't see why you would want to change from one style to another. What's the goal of this endeavor?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

They might have made hei that wasn't on the cap, but not in 85. An 85 should be and in cap coil, unless its aftermarket, mine is on my 85. MSD makes a cap that is set up for external coil for hei. I wouldn't get an in cap coil. The internals (coil) are more expensive. Just get an MSD cap, coil, rotor, and coil wire. It'll boost your performance, and its not that expensive. The MSD cap &amp; rotor is around $25, coil 32, and wire should be pretty cheap. I'm assuming that you have one of the canister style coils.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. shooter

I was always use to seeing hei with the coil on top. Learn something new everyday. But I am interested in a hotter coil and a new cap and rotor. thanks for the response.

6. shooter

the seperate coil looks like the type that sit on top of the cap. But since I have read the responses I will get MSD cap, coil, and rotor and have fun, Thanks

7. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

PM Philly87 he works for MSD and can help you out in any way.
    GOOD GUY! He helped me and even called me while at work.
    He is useually on during the day.
    GOOD luck.

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!