Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor gear question????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOABDADC22, Aug 22, 2004.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I am finally getting around to putting my second brand new Vortec in my Tahoe. It appears that a cam bearing spun in the new engine at 1007 miles /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

It looks like the distributor gear was the only casualty (that needs to go in the new engine anyhow.) I got another new Vortec under warranty.

Is a regular sbc HEI distributor gear the same as a vortec gear???? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks in advance for the help. [​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It *should* be, but I suggest calling a machine shop if you don't get the answer here.

Perhaps any of the aftermarket distributor manufacturers could tell you as well.

I say SHOULD because for awhile the aftermarket was using a different material for the teeth that mate with the distributor, but I think that has pretty much gone by the wayside...my new aftermarket roller cam works with the "stock" distributor gear.

3. MOABDADC22

thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MOABDADC22