Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor Placement Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just put my new 350 for my K5 in and was wondering how to set up my distributor. I hooked everything up and it wont fire up so I figured the timing is off. If anyone has any detailed instructions as to where to position the distributor or anything like that I would greatly appreciate any help. I have the number one piston on top dead center on the compression stroke but I don't know where to go from there. Thanks.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

To double check to make sure you ARE on the compression stroke and not the other stroke, pull the cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 spark plug wire, if its 180* out, it'll be pointing to #6 if i recall.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

most sure fire why to check if your on #1 compression TDC is to watch the #1 intake valve. after it goes up and comes back down, the next time the line comes up will be TDC #1.. don't even have to pull the dizzy...

from there, just slap a rotor on, mark that location, put cap on, and bring a post to that point. that'll be #1. 18436572... doesn't really matter where #1 is...

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

right on. the way paul said is what i did when he told me and it worked perfectly!

5. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When you say line do you mean the mark on the harmonic balancer?

6. ryoken

correct....

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Once I find TDC on #1, I look in my motors manual and set up the distributor just like their diagrams,especially vac advance placement. That way my dumb azz don't have to remember where I put #1 plug wire!

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The way I always do it is to crank the engine over with My finger over #1 spark plug hole untill I feel it come up on the compression stroke. At this point the timing mark on the harmonic balancer will be near the timing mark tab. Then I simply turn the engine over by hand untill I line it up with 0* BTDC. Then I drop the distributor in with the rotor pointed at 27 minutes after the hour as it drops in it will turn to 30 minutes after the hour and it will be hitting #1 on the distributor. After that I replace the cap and plugs and wires then I set the timing at 8* BTDC and thats it.

9. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When I am setting the wires in the order 18436572 do they go clockwise or counter clockwise if i am looking down on the distributor?

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

they go clockwise with #1 starting at the vacc. advance

11. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok It has been almost two years since I took the old engine out and I cant seem to find the other wire that plugs into the distributor cap. One goes from the base of the distributor to the cap and there is another place right next to it where another wire plugs in but where does that wire come from the battery, the starter??? The distributor has no power running to it and I can't seem to find the plug for it so if ya know what wire is supposed to be plugged in to the distributor cap and where it is routed to for power please let me know so i can locate that wire.

12. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok It has been almost two years since I took the old engine out and I cant seem to find the other wire that plugs into the distributor cap. One goes from the base of the distributor to the cap and there is another place right next to it where another wire plugs in but where does that wire come from the battery, the starter??? The distributor has no power running to it and I can't seem to find the plug for it so if ya know what wire is supposed to be plugged in to the distributor cap and where it is routed to for power please let me know so i can locate that wire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what wire you are talking about. The wire should be located around the back of the engine.
    If you can't find it I will go look on my truck. I am having the same trouble with my truck. I got the damn thing to start but it is running like crap. The truck will run rough then start to die and then come back to life and do the same thing over and over again.
    Thanks
    Adam

13. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah I looked around the back of the engine but none of the wires matched up to the plug. If you could look at the wire and see where it comes from I would greatly appreciate it. Im glad you know which one I am talking about I didn't think anyone would know what my crazy a$$ is talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    #1 starting at the vacc. advance

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 starts wherever you put it.

I usually put it the next one clockwise from where the coil plugs in, I believe that is factory.

15. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    There are two wires one is red and I beleive the other one is black. The red once runs on the pass side of the motor to the alternator.
    Thanks
    Adam

16. ryoken

almost every chevy i've ever seen has the original #1 TDC pointing at the #1 cylinder, thats where i locate my rotor when i install a dizzy.. tho like we both said, it really doesn't matter where it is. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

hijack on.... what kinda shocks are you carrying Tim?