Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor power question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Mar 14, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can't find it in the archives. Found lots of info on tach wiring though.

Where, exactly, does the distributor get its power from? Is it a pink or red wire coming from the distributor cap, through the ignition switch, and back to the fuse panel? Do the colors ever change? Is there a fusible link somewhere in the system between the distributor and the battery that'd affect it? Is it under a particular fuse?

I was driving down the road last night when it just died. No sputtering. Just plain shut off. It's not fuel. I don't have spark. I traced it to no power to the power lead to the distributor. It should have power while the ignition key is in the run/on and cranking positions, right?

I pulled all my fuses and none of them are blown. Everything else seems to work on the truck including the electric choke.

I'm feeling rather dense and lightheaded for some reason today. And I was supposed to be at a meeting half an hour ago.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Perhaps one of the fusible links, but there can be other causes. If you've got the junction block on the firewall, check those wires for voltage.

3. CyberSniper

I've got a boatload of pink wires under my dash. I've got three going up the steering column and two plugged into the fuse block on the fuse side that look factory. I'm pretty sure I can see the one that goes to the distributor twisted around behind the fuse block.

I just got done checking the fusable links down at the starter and those are good.

I checked the parts truck I have in the back yard to see where the wire went. It goes straight to the fuse block. I don't know what fuse because the fuse side of the block is gone.

I guess I'll go start poking wires with my test light. Too bad it just started snowing pretty hard and the wind kicked up.

4. CyberSniper

I bypassed everything and ran 12v from the battery straight to the distributor. No spark.

I'm going to see if I have a spare ignition coil lying around and see about replacing that. It's not very enjoyable outside right now so I don't want to replace the ICM unless I have to.

5. CyberSniper

It turned out to be a bad ignition coil. It was put on last Thanksgiving is the weird part.

I still don't know why I wasn't getting power out at the connector to the distributor. After I went and pulled all the fuses, wiggled the connectors to the ignition switch, and went back out there the test light was on.