Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distributor question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slider, Dec 29, 2003.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what the gap between the distributor drive gear and the distributor housing should be. I know there is a dimension but cannot remember what it is. I pulled out my distributor and it has a big gap and when it was new it was very tight, slight gap. Thanks for the help, Slider

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The end play should be somewhere close to .005"-.010"

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

What can I shim it with? Will any washer do? Stainless steel? Its about .025 and that too big. Thanks for the help

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mr. Gasket makes a distributor shim kit.

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Man I was hoping for a quick fix, Living out in the boonies sometimes sucks. Thanks for the help.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i feel your pain..

good luck

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Having used a Mr. Gasket (or maybe Moroso?) kit fo this, I'd say that more than likely, you'd be hard pressed to find a washer thin enough to get that kind of precise gap.

Besides, if you've ever picked up a few washers out of a bin and measured them, you know how much variation there is in thickness. Also, variation in thickness and surface texture would also be important, and I doubt you'd want a plated washer in this application. (would flake off, which besides not wanting metal pieces in the motor, would change the clearance)

Can't comment on the variation of thickness on the shims or whether they are plated (don't appear to be, perhaps stainless?) made for this application, but I can say they are extremely smooth.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ya I know about washer variations so I went and ordered the Mr. Gasket kit. s/b here on Friday. Hopefully it does not snow tonight, but knowing Seattle weather guessers it snows when they do not expect it to /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.