Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by option#9, Jan 22, 2004.

1. option#9

option#9 Registered Member

Are there any tell tale signs I could look for if I think my distributor might be one tooth off? I have tried everything to get this engine timed right and it just won't give me what I want. It only has 3000 miles on the rebuild, I didn't do the rebuild and there are many mods that I am aware of but don't know the specifics on.

I've been looking at a Haynes manual and from the diagrams it looks like the distributor might be retarded a full plug wire when it is at top dead center. Can I trust the diagram?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't search so there it is.

Thanks
    Steve

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I am going to assume you are using a vac. advance. With that in mind make sure the vac. diaphram is pointing to about the 7 or 8 oclock position when standing in front of the motor. Then bring your number one cylinder up to the top of the cylinder on its compression stroke. Decide which terminal you want to use for your number one plug wire. Then lift up the distributor and turn the rotor while holding the vac. diaphram in position as stated above. When you get close to where it should be in relation to the Number one terminal on the cab. THen gently push it down while turning the base and the rotor to get a feel for engagement of the oil pump shaft. Once it engages properly the distributor will rest flat on the manifold, and the Vac. should be in position so you have plenty of advance and retard space to turn it either way to set your timing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Easyiest thing I can think of is set the timing mark to top dead center this will bring cylinder 1 and (holy sh#t I forgot!!!) Well look at the firing order obviosly(sp) 1 will be at tdc and the 5th cylinder in the order will be also. Pop the distribuitor cap and it will be pointing at one or the other.

If it isn't then you are off.

Sorry about the forgetting, too much time in front of a PC, being around diesel and too long from gas!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a tooth off you can adjust out of it by turning housing, unless it hits firewall or something else, then you would need to pull distributor and turn drive rod to fix, or you can cheat by moving all the wires over one tower whichever direction you need to that will fix that,
    try using a vacuum guage to check to see if you are set good, will read 18-22 if so