Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor.. stupid sutpid stupid. help me trouble shoot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Feb 23, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

So in early post I was in a fit because i just replace my carb and couldnt get it started. Thanks for the replies they helped, but the carb is fine.

For some reason there is no spark. I first pulled the plug and tried to see if the spark arch. Then i didnt trust that method so i got a multimeter thing and tried again. I was getting a reading of no volts when i attached the leads to a ground and to the terminals on the dist. cap.

I am not at all familier with the electrical system as Ive never had a problem before; so I am going trough the hayns tring to figure it out. Can anyone translate better, how to figure out what part isnt working?

Ive tried some more wireing tricks as some of the lower post suggested, but Still now spark. Still looking for help, I rather not replace the whole thing if I don't have to.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ok, I am not sure how to check them, but here are some of the parts that can cause a no start from the igntion.

Pickup Coil (always carry a spare, without you don't run)
    Module
    Condensor (not sure if this can cause no spark)
    Coil
    Cap & rotor
    Resistor Bushing (not sure if this will cause no spark)

I have an 85 K5, but I have MSD igntion. So I don't use a module or condensor, therefore I don't know if they can cause no spark. (pretty sure module can but not sure about condersor)

I have had my Pickup Coil go out, and without a good pickup coil your done. You have to pull the whole Dis. to get to it.

Bad coil could be it too. I have had a coil go bad, but only to the point where it would miss ocassionally.

With MSD its easy, its the pickup coil, the coil, or the MSD box that go bad. I can help you on how to check these things with regular igntion though.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK I checked your other post and you mention hooking up all the hoses and such but nothing about the wires to the carb. Lets start w/ did you have any wires on the old carb? Are there any on the new carb?

The reason I ask is cuz I got my butt whooped for like 2 weeks over this same problem. If you still have the ESC dist and the carb you installed is a NON ESC carb, there is part of the signal missing to the computer, so it wont fire. I swapped in an early HEI w/ no ESC and it fired right up. I have since learned that you can hot wire the ESC dist. to operate w/out the computer and you can then run a standard carb.

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

There was only two wires to the carb. One for the electric choke. The other for *cant remember what its called* but the siloniod thing that goes up to the throttle body part where the cable connects to. Anyway they where the only two wires i ever new of that went to the carb. But i could be mistaken. It is an 85 if anyone knows.

5. Pure Insanity

OK did the new carb have them? And are they connected?

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

the new carb didnt come with anywires with it and i never noticed where a wire would go, assuming that it has conventional wire plugs or a familiar wire harness thing.

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i just went through this a month ago, check and see if you have spark coming out of your coil, if not, then it could be coil/dist./rotor, dist. cap/module, i dun think coils cost much, and you can check it through a procedure in your haynes, i replaced the rotor cuz i was in there and they're cheap, but mine ended up being the module, but weird thing is the problem was intermittent, so i don't know with you, hope this helps...

8. Pure Insanity

Well then it sounds like you may have gotten an Pre ESC carb.

Try this....on the back of the dist youll find a 4 wire plug block, theres a green and black wire in the 4. jump the green and black wires together and try to fire it up. This is the bypass for the ESC. Its a 4 wire connector that goes to the firewall to the passengers side of the dist and passes thru a big grommet to the computer. But all you need is the wires before the connecter under the hood.

Heres a link, look around and youll find the conversion info in a pink block towards the bottom of the page. http://www.73-87.com/garage/escrepl.htm

9. Hossbaby50

85's don't have computer controlled carbs. The Dis. has ESC but the carb shouldn't. The

86's like PI do have computer controlled carbs.

The two wire hookup on the factory 85 Qjet shouldn't cause it not to run. I disconnected mine when my truck was having problems, and it didn't do anything. Although my truck doesn't have ESC anymore either. I also disconnected it with the truck running.

10. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Is this a new distributor? Did you remove the old on and replace it? Did you by chance use a little o-ring gasket that goes between the manifold and the ditributor?
    It may sound crazy but on time on my 84 Sub I put the gasket in and the truck wouldn't run. It took nearly 2 hours of beating my head against the wall to figure it out. After I removed the gasket it ran fine.
    David

11. Pure Insanity

Then whats the 2nd wire hes talking about that goes to the carb body? My 84 Camaro had a sensor in the carb, like an old school throttle position sensor. It went the same stroke as the accelerator(sp) pump and fed back info on TP to the computer.

Ill almost bet if he jumps the black and green wires itll run. All he changed was the carb and now he has no spark. Maybe he has a late production 85, so it has the 86 carb?

12. Hossbaby50

On my carb there are a total of 3 wires. 1 goes to the electric choke. Then there is a 2 wire connector that goes to the carb at the passengers side front corner. I am not sure what it does, but with my truck running (no ESC anymore) I disconnected it and my truck kept running with no problems or difference.

13. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

The second wire goes to a throttle position sensor like thing, which i took off the old carb and bolted on the new. I think some carbs had things in the same place that where for curb idle adjustment. I am not actaully sure what this thing dose when it sences throttle posision, buy the way it is a green wire.

I found a loose wire that I NEVER saw before, utill i did some investigating a while ago. This thrid gunman... wire is on the passenger side it was allong the others on the passenger side and was lying loose between the alt and the block, following it back it goes to the same spot the electric choke wire dose, and fits in the same spot, but it is a different shape. It also apears that it melted a bit. Whatever it is if it belonged to the old carb it didnt seem to matter because it wasnt attached to it as long as ive had it.

I will jump the black and green and give it ago, and let you all know.

14. Pure Insanity

Well that 2 wire connector is the TPS. If your not running ESC it will have no bearing on how it performs.

15. Pure Insanity

Use a scotch lock (the blue connector thing that you can press onto a wire to plice into it) as a temporary fix to see if it works. If it does then cut the wires and connect them properly. A scotch lock is a sure fire way to have problems. Disconnect the 4 wire connector going to the fire wall before doing this since Im not sure if it will fry the ESC computer. I think this may be the way that the ESC is bypassed for setting the spark advance in repair manuals.

I hope this gets you fired up.

16. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

JUst got finished jumping the wires, and nothing. No change no starting.

The first time I messed up and got the black and brown wires confusied, but then got it right and nothing special happened.

There is still nothing at the distributor cap, as in not voltage.

any other ideas? i really need my truck tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. Pure Insanity

OK I assumed you at least covered the basics, you DO have 12V going into the dist right? That would be the rear most (towards the fire wall) single wire connector that goes into the cap on the left side.

If not run a temporary hot lead to it from the batt. or somethin and see if it runs. If not then you have a bad module possibly. And have the black and green hotwired for this test.

18. Pure Insanity

Well whatever became of this problem? Did you get it fixed and what was it?

19. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

week of snow = no work today

started new post

20. Hossbaby50

you act like you actually get snow in Durango. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You get up to 5ft in the San Juans and you act like it is a big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Two of my roommates are from Durango, and one's mom said that they got some pretty good snow for the first time in awhile down there. How deep did it actually get in Durango?