Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor/Timing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Jun 14, 2001.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I recently installed an HEI distributor in an old 68 Chevy 350 that had the old style point distributor. I put all new cap, wires, coil, and module in the HEI distributor. When I first started it up it idled slow and would backfire through the carb. I then advanced the timing and it ran smoother and didn't backfire as much. I then advanced it as far as I could to the point where the vac advance module hits the intake and it ran a little better but still sputtered and backfired a little. I then noticed that the engine cranked very slowly before it would start. Is it possible I could have gotten the distributor off a notch or 2 and it would run the way I have described, and if so how do I get the dist in right to correct this problem. When I said I advanced the timing I turned the dist counter clockwise. A guy at the auto parts store told me the thing wouldn't even run unless the dist was installed correctly. So now I am wondering if it could be the timing chain or something else. Even though the motor is in a 68 truck I have my doubts the the motor is a 68. It uses the smaller spark plugs (R45TS). I didn't have this motor running before I installed the HEI so I don't know if the timing was out of whack before I started. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the timing with a light to see when its firing? it could be a tooth out of whack, i've had to move pull the dist, and move it a tooth so the vac advance won't hit something. another question is, are all the wires in the right order? I've done the mix up 5 & 7 thing where you switch two wires that are next to each other in the order and it will run just barely, check the wires and make sure they go to the right plugs, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, right? and check the timeing to see when its firing, ATDC? BTDC? Good luck!

RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Check that little thing that goes under the coil, has a spring o none end, and a rounded end on the other side. I fixed a guy's truck a little while ago, and had it upside down.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

awhile ago i installed a new crank shaft when i did this it through of the dist. too the point it was on #8 at TDC but i did not know this. it would crank but ran like complete sh*t. my point is it might be off a tooth or two, i had to position the dist. and try to get it on there at # 1 but it would not go all the way down with out going off a tooth or two. i had to move the crank with a wrench to get it to drop into the right place. just my two cents and i could be way wrong.

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

It could be installed 180 degrees the wrong way. It will start and run but not very well. Find Top Dead Center, #1 spark plug firing, and then reinstall your distributor.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

6. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all who responded. I found that I had 2 problems. I had the distributor off a few notches from #1 when it was at top dead center, and also discovered that even though I had fixed a problem with the choke on the carb, I neglected to check the new plugs and found them to be all carboned up beyond use. I can't believe the motor fired at all. Thanks again.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

that's great I wish I knew about this site alot sooner when i had problems i couldn't figure out it can save ya a big headache good luck and happy tunning.