Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Aug 20, 2000.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    Does my 82 blazer have an HEI distributor or just standard points ? I think it is HEI. please correct me if not. WEll, my problem is that my truck isn't running on all cylinders. I recently put headers on and i removed my plugs and wires put kept the wires on the distributor. When i noticed that it didn't run correctly, I checked the firing sequence nad my wires arn't even close !! I mean way off !! Some wires don't even run to the correct side of the engine. I know I did not do this becuase I only took one side of the wires off at a time. So my question is, could my distributor rotor rotated too far that causes my wires to be in a weird order or what ? Should I just take off all my wires and put them the way the Haynes manual says or what ?even though it is a vast difference from the order i currently have ? PLEASE HELP !!
    Blake

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    On a 74 blazer I had my firing order wasnt even close to the norm 18436572. I did a tune up and then it would barely run. I ended up taking it to a shop and they put it on a computer and told me what the new firing order was. So its not uncommon to have a different firing order. Good luck. I am sure one of the mechanic guys can tell you how to find the proper order at home Good luck

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Sorry, but the firing order for a Chevy sb305, 350, etc., is 18436572, and looking down at the distributor cap from above it rotates clockwise, and it will always be this way. They may have moved where the #1 sparkplug wire used to be, but the firing order is the same. The firing order for a given motor can't be changed by changing the order on the distributor cap.(WELL IT CAN, BUT IT WOULDN'T RUN RIGHT) And yes, you do have an HEI. Now you will probably need a friend to help you with this. Take out the #1 sparkplug (looking at the motor, on the rightside (drivers side) closest to you is the #1 sparkplug), and put your finger over the hole (NOT IN THE HOLE, JUST OVER IT), and have your help crank/bump the motor until you start to feel the pressure blowing your finger off of the hole. This would indicate that you are coming up on the compression stroke. Now get a ratchet and socket that will fit the harmonic balancer (center bolt) and turn the balancer clockwise until the line is pointing to the "0" on the balancer tab ( If you pass it a little bit you can turn it back a little, just make sure that you don't accidentally loosen the balance bolt). This should be TDC (top dead center), now take off your distributor cap and check the relationship between the cap and the rotor. It should be pointing to the #1 sparkplug wire (or pretty close), check the rest of the firing order on the cap following the wires to the sparkplugs. If the rotor is pointing the other way (180 degrees off) don't worry (ESPECIALLY IF YOU DIDN'T PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT). Just try to put it on TDC again. Normally on a HEI they put the #1 sparkplug wire just clockwise of where the power connector, and tach wires plug in. I hope that this helps. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Guys !!
    Thanks so much for your help !! The truck is running better then ever with the headers and only half the exhaust system !!
    Blake

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status