Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor troubles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frank74, May 12, 2003.

1. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

Here goes it:
    About 3 months ago the distributor on my truck's 350 gave up. The engine had trouble idling and accelerating, but once it got moving down the road it was fine. My dad decided we should take it to the shop, they told us the points and condenser were fried and that the whole thing should be replaced. They also said the shaft was bent but I already knew that from the little spike in the idle speed the truck always had. Then my dad and I argued over if we should pay extra for them to drop in a new points or just buy a nicer distributor(HEI)with the same amount of money. He decided to have them do it, and i was pleased with the results.

Fast foward to present:
    I recently went four-wheeling in some mud and water. The ignition system got a little wet as always, and it idled a little rough, but that was to be expected. I drove it home and the problem got worse as I went. I sprayed some of my STP wire dryer in each end of the plug wire boots to aid the ignition system and it helped a bit. The next day I had trouble starting it, and it has been unable to maintain a consistent idle. It misses at idle and loads up, and if I attempt to accelerate the truck bogs down and then kicks in and gets moving fine. Timing and dwell have not been changed since it was in the shop. I now have the same problem as I did earlier, and I don't know what is going on here. I'll probably have a shop or my auto shop teacher take a look at it, but I was wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of this happening. I'm all ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Points.....ohhh boy. Sounds like time for some points. Points don't like being damp and it will fry the contacts real quick. If you plan to run the points then get use to changing them. Keep some WD40 handy. Spaying the wires if the wires are good doesn nothing. what you need to spray is the INSIDE of the cap wit hthe WD 40, let it air dry for a few minutes and it should clear out.
    Personnaly if it were my truck I'd be swapping in HEI. That was one of the best mods I ever did to my old Pontiac.