Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIstributor wiring on 83 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can anyone tell me what the extra connector is that is coming out of the base of my distributor? The original engine from 1983 was a 305. I thought a "normal" HEI distributor only had external connections for key and tach. Must be some funky emissions related stuff?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you've got an ESC distributor, which you either need to convert to non-ESC, or get a non-ESC distributor.

Of course, this is if you already have the wiring from the base to the cap in place.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can anyone tell me what the extra connector is that is coming out of the base of my distributor? The original engine from 1983 was a 305. I thought a "normal" HEI distributor only had external connections for key and tach. Must be some funky emissions related stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

you answered your own question there, it is EST system, electronis spark control, you would want ot go with older carb if you swap to 75-79 style HEI

80 was first year of the EST emissions control system, the control box is mounted standing upright right to pass side of the pedal assembly, silver box cant miss it

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought the ESC "module" was mounted behind the glove box, just like ECM's in any CCC/TBI trucks?

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I've been running an Edelbrock carb and a Jacobs ignition with external coil for a long time. When I installed that stuff many years ago, I must have known what that connector was for because I disconnected it and shorted some of the wires together so that it would run without any emissions funny business.

So, it does run as is, with no special carb. I want to get rid of all the Jacobs stuff though, not because it's not working, but because there is so much spaghetti of wire running everywhere. I'm afraid something will corrode or something and I'll have no idea what's wrong (and I just want to clean up the engine compartment). I can either go get an in-cap coil at Autozone and put it back like it was a long time ago, or spring for a normal distributor without the extra emissions/spark control connections.

Does anyone have a clue whether this distributor behaves the same as a non-ESC distrib when the ESC connection is disconnected?