Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distributor won't fit in 350. help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jun 25, 2006.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i finally installed my engine, yesterday. now, i can't get my old distributor all the way in it fit fine in the old 350. about 1.5-2" of shaft still sticking out above manifold, and the bottom of the shaft (outer housing, not the part that turns with the gear), where it widens right above the gear, is where it is apparently hanging up. it has a tiny ring worn around the bottom from me gently turning it around in there, trying to get it to seat. i've never seen a distributor be more than snug on install. were there two different models used in 80-85 (mine is 82), one slightly wider? can i just steel wool (or something) the shaft until it is narrow enough? the difference seems tiny, but i am not about to force it in there. please help! thanks a lot

2. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Your distro wont seat inless the pin that drives the oil pump is lined up. It will take some fiddling with at different positions to get it back in. I had to realign the distro on my truck when the PO put it in a tooth off.. Bastard!

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i got it in. i just steel wooled the part down for a loooong time. fits great now. who the heck knows why it was like that.

4. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I second the oil pump driveshaft! The slot in the bottom of the dizzy gear must line up with the oil pump driveshaft!

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The oil pump will only make it hang up at the last like .25" not 1.5" - 2" like he's saying. Sounds like he was right anyways.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yeah, i guess i forgot to mention that i have not installed the new oil pump and shaft yet. that's why i knew that wasn't the issue. thanks anyway, though.