Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributor won't go back in???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boneyard, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Boneyard

Boneyard Registered Member

First off I came across this place searching ask.com for some answers and this place has a ton of info on it. Great place here!!!

My problem started out as one of those "simple" day jobs and now is on day #4 :mad: . My womans 93 Jimmy needed the injector replaced (a $300 part :frown1: ) and thought I would clean the engine area up a bit while doing it. So off comes the upper intake... find a leaking fuel line in the intake leading up to the injector... Spend a whole day calling around finding this preformed fuel line... Next day go to replace the fuel line and strip the bolt holding to the bracket holding the fuel line in place. Hmmm... OK off comes the intake manifold. It had a small oil leak in the back anyway and need a new gasket and seal. The engine really needed some much needed cleaning so off I went making it all look perty. Day 3 comes around and it is raining (who says it never rains in southern california?) and the truck is outside in the driveway, no biggy just throw the intake in place, throw the distributor in place (did not want to take a chance at loosing my distributor mark) and roll the beast into the garage. And then it happend....

The distributor went in once and I pulled it back out because it looked slightly off mark and when I went to put it back in it didn't go. It goes halfway and hits. Did the balancer slip on me? Do I need to go and find TDC and set the distributor to #1 OR can I try and wrench on the front pully to get that sucker to drop in???

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Take a flashlight and peek down into the distributor hole. See that slotted steel part way down in there? That is the drive for the oil pump. Now look at the bottom of the distributor shaft. See that steel pin? It MUST fit into the slot on the oil pump driveshaft for the distributor to drop in all the way. To make it even more difficult, the angle of the cam gear turns the distributor just slightly as you drop it into place. You'll need a LONG screwdriver to adjust the driveshaft into position. It make take a couple of stabs before you get everything lined up, but once you do it will drop right into place.

3. Boneyard

So it is the gear for the oil pump and not my timing? I thought the bottom gear was for the oil but wasn't sure. I take it that the gear is easily movable?

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

You can just take a very long screwdriver and rotate the drive slot in the top of the oil pump so it will line up with the tab on the bottom of the distributor when it is installed. Remember that the distributor shaft will turn slightly as it engages the drive gear so you may have to fiddle a little to get it lined up.

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i agree. oil pump shaft is your best bet. if not that, make sure the intake manifold isn't out of alignment. that would easily make the dizzy bind.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Just fyi, it's not a gear, just a drive shaft. Looks like a flat-head screw in the bottom of the hole.
    It sounds like you know your way around an engine more or less, so I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the gear is for the connection to the camshaft. :D

7. Boneyard

Got home from work today and took a look and yep... turned that sucker a bit and Distributor went straight in :laugh:

Thanks for the help!!!

Ah yes I know enough around a motor to get myself into trouble :eek1: and actually fix something from time to time LOL!!! :D

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

another happy customer. Way to go guys.