Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distributor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big_bad_blazer, Mar 23, 2003.

1. big_bad_blazer

big_bad_blazer Registered Member

ok well i was timeing my engen and the distributor poped up becus i loosend the bolt to much then i tryed to pull it out and pt it back in there wel my question is how do you line the distributor back up so that i can time it and get her running right agen . tanks for any help.

2. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

is it a hel system you will have to remove the coil and nuber 1 plug and bump the starter till u fill the piston come up on the compression stroke then check to see where the rotor is pointing the losen it up again and rotate it till it pointing to the number one plug wire these should get you close ed. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

pull the number one plug....place a piece of plastic(or your thumb OVER) the plug hole and have someone crank the engine slowly(bump)WITH THE CAP OFF. When you feel a big push of air, stop and check the timing mark. If near 0', pull on the fan belt to rotate the crank until the timing mark reads 0.then put the distributor back in with the rotor pointing to the front closer to the driver side. Try it out. If you get alot of coughing and no start, try pulling the distributor out carefully and rotating the rotor about 180 degrees until it falls back in. try again.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ive timed many engines...but just yesterday i messed up royaly. i was tryin to time the 454 and i thought it was on compression stroke and kept tryin to get it timed...but the damn thing would cough and blow out big ass flames. so i took out the plug and tried it and i was 180* off. so i moved it to the right point and it fired right up. loud as hell with straight headers...but i love it when every1 looks up to see who it is /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NITRO

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ive timed many engines...but just yesterday i messed up royaly. i was tryin to time the 454 and i thought it was on compression stroke and kept tryin to get it timed...but the damn thing would cough and blow out big ass flames. so i took out the plug and tried it and i was 180* off. so i moved it to the right point and it fired right up. loud as hell with straight headers...but i love it when every1 looks up to see who it is /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ]

shane, cool to see youve gotten so far with the 454, be careful with having it fire way out of order thats not good on rod bearings when it fires all out of order like that. makes the crank stop in middle of rotation when it fires on an opposite side cylinder, hard to explain really.

need to set #1 piston to firing position top dead center and turn the oil pump rod so that the slot is pointing towards #1 cylinder and drop the dizzy in with it pointing a little counter clockwise of the #1 cylinder, the teeth engaging as are dropping dizzy down will turn the dizzy clockwise a bit- i think ive got that right- its easier to do than explain

good luck

6. hottiewattie

hottiewattie Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is kinda funnyw hen everyone looks up at your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif beast....not the one in your pants either /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Glad things are working better for ya right now! Maybe something else will change!