Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

distributors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmud77, Jul 19, 2004.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Which ones are are the best to run? I was thinking the msd ready to run one. But not to sure if there is one that is better than this. Also i will be changing to tpi so hopefully the new one will work with it also.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

stock one works fine for me, just upgrade the coil.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't spend the money on the MSD large cap coil if you are going to swap in TPI. You will need a new dist again. Get yourself a stocker for a reasonable price to put in for now or run what you have. Don't think about spending $$$ on a dist till you are ready for the TPI and then if you still want it get the MSD small cap HEI dist.

I am running a stock dist with an MSD cap and rotor on my truck with TPI. Works fine. If you feel like it you can throw on a MSD coil, they are $40 for a TPI setup. Wires are a good idea to. They are around $60-80.

Harley

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I think the MSD is a great distributor. I have the ready to run pro billet, which has the small cap. Don't know how it works with TPI, but it is supposed to be a direct replacement for an HEI distributor.

For what it's worth, I would stick with an HEI unless you need to replace your distributor for some reason. Or you just really want an MSD.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Stock really work good until higher rpm's , to remedy that you get a new coil . I don't think a truck really needs to see high rpm's anyway , unless you run mud /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Actually to remedy that you need a new coil and a new high performance module. Both the module and the coil won't keep up with RPMs over 4500 or so very well.

When you swap in TPI you will swap in a small cap HEI distributor in place of the big cap HEI that was used in carb trucks.

The small cap HEI is the only way to go with TPI. The new intake plenum takes up alot of room in the back area of the engine and even with the small cap HEI it is really cramped. The big cap HEI will only make the problem worse.

The small cap HEI also uses a remote coil and coil wire. The high performance coil for the small cap distributor is about 1/2 the price of the MSD coil for the large cap.

MSD does make replacement small cap HEI's if you want to use the MSD stuff on your motor. It is semi pointless to swap in an MSD distributor if the reason is to run high RPM. TPI runs out of air around 4500-4800 RPM.

Harley