Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Distributors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deothrwhtmt, Sep 14, 2002.

1. deothrwhtmt

deothrwhtmt Registered Member

How much poo am I in for, if I want to change my distributor in my 88K5? Do I need to remove my hood? Should I go with the kind I can just pick up at autozone or something like a Mallory or MSD? Any tips or tricks? Really need help. Thanks in advance, no pun intended.

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

whats wrong with the one in there now?...to tell ya the truth you wont gain much power to the cash outlay...prob not even enough to notice i would just save your cash and keep the stock on in there...i pulled all my msd stuff off and sold it all...it made no difference at all from stock except on start up

3. deothrwhtmt

Did something really dumb and snapped cap off. The little metal plate the cap was attched to now revolves around the shaft. This type of "variable" timing isnt good. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd grab one out at local salvage yard.

5. deothrwhtmt

Copy that. I checked around and the yards want just as much as a new one from Autozone or "3 stooges" aka Pep girls. So do I have to do anything crazy to get this thing changed out? Or is it straight up loosening the collar and the hold down? Do I need to take the hood off?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never had to take a hood off to change a dist., but I haven't done one on a Blazer.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No dont pull the hood. Just unplug everything , revove the hold down clamp and pull the dist out.\
    when you pull the dist be sure to mark the position of the rotor and how the dist body sits in the engine. You will want to install the new dist exactly the same way so that things dont get way out of time
    The stock dist on the TBI trucks is a good unit. You really wont gain anything with a performance dist.
    If you want to get a little more power out of the ignition. Just get a good set of wires and the MSD blaster coil .

8. deothrwhtmt

When you say distributor body, is that the cap or the depth of the shaft? I cant really remember what direction the whole unit was facing I will see what I cando to try and match it up. That metal plate under the cap, or what the cap tightens down to is what has snapped off.