Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ditching The Doors For a Ride, Have Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

The first big ride of the year is this weekend. Along with the ColoradoK5 Ladies Calendar photo shoot! I'd like to ditch the doors. Top is already off. Has anyone made any cotter-style pins to make door removal easy? Can you tell me how? Thanks!!

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't, yet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only thing I've got to add, have you gotten your cage in yet? If not, got fab up something to keep the body semi square. With the rust that you've got, the body is liable to twist in half if you aren't careful. Mine did, with the doors ON!

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing I've got to add, have you gotten your cage in yet? If not, got fab up something to keep the body semi square. With the rust that you've got, the body is liable to twist in half if you aren't careful. Mine did, with the doors ON!

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyle, as I type this my cage is being made. I had one deal fall through but on a whim, called a place about 1/2 hour away and sure enough, they bend tube. I went there and it was tube everything. Amazing. They make Pro Mod race cars. I'm thrilled, and the cost will be just around $550 for a 6 point cage. I pick it up tomorrow night!! Yay!! Not only that, I located a pair of 3/4 ton axles right next door, for a trade. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif See if you recognize this: "Every good and perfect gift is from above..." so I have Someone to thank for this sudden change of things to "good"!

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kyle, as I type this my cage is being made. I had one deal fall through but on a whim, called a place about 1/2 hour away and sure enough, they bend tube. I went there and it was tube everything. Amazing. They make Pro Mod race cars. I'm thrilled, and the cost will be just around $550 for a 6 point cage. I pick it up tomorrow night!! Yay!! Not only that, I located a pair of 3/4 ton axles right next door, for a trade. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif See if you recognize this: "Every good and perfect gift is from above..." so I have Someone to thank for this sudden change of things to "good"!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's GREAT news. I knew you were looking.

On the doors, they are pretty simple to take on and off. I thought about making something for quick disco's, but I'm going with a set of tube doors, so it's not something that I would be doing at the trail head. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Again, GREAT news. You'll have to put LOTS of pics up when it's done...

5. Eck

Eck Registered Member

I have been thinking about doing the same thing with the quick change pins. If anybody else has done this please post. Might be a good aftermarket item?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive done it so I can swap between tube doors and reg doors relatively quickly. Its pretty simple... just go to a parts supply store and get some hinge pins that are LONGER than the stock ones. then, grind a little flat spot on the end of each, drill a hole big enuff to fit the cottar pin through and you're set. Getting the factory pins out was a PITA, but you dont end up reusing them so its no biggie to cut/hack/destroy them getting them out. Then all ya gotta do is re hang the door using the new door pins. The reason you need the cotter pin is because the top one on each side has to be mounted "upside down" to fit, naturally you dont want it to fall out, and thats where the cotter pin comes in. works for me and its cheap too,

j

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Have you had any door sag? I have been told they get saggy once they go off/on via the pins. I like your idea! Now I just need my truck home.... drives me crazy that it's gone. I got to drive hub's K30 around town today at least, so I'm not going through major truck withdrawals /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I did this. I just took the original pins and ground on them so that they would slip in and out better. The bottom pin drops down and stays. The top pin needed to go in from below so I just drilled a hole and put in a cotter pin. Works real good.