Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dives to the right on Hard breaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Aug 22, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well, I almost rolled the blazer yesterday.
    Was traveling down the desert interstate at 65 and some a$$hole pulled out in front of me from a side road. I nailed the brakes and the truck dove to the right /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The only thing on the right was the shoulder than the desert, I actually went into the shoulder then released the brakes and the somehow kept control while the rearend was sliding around the other direction in the dirt.

After going home and cleaning out my shorts, I checked everything on the brakes and couldnt see anything that would cause it.

Any ideas? Dont want to experience that again.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It might be the passenger side caliper sticking or grabbing harder than the driver side one. You might wanna try lubing everything up or even replace calipers.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Most likely bumpsteer. What kind of lift and steering correction do you have?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i had that problem..just did the ball joints on that side..(they had some slop)..test drove it and i have no more pulling..truck goes straight down the road..and also lost the small vibrations i was getting..also my left side bearing was loose to. check that stuff out as well.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I had that problem on our dump truck except it would pull to the left. After checking a ton of [I love Jeeps] I happened to look at the front spring pack....both U bolts were loose on that side...very loose /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So when I would apply the brakes the left side of the solid axle would shift back a bit changing the alignment of the front wheels and pulling hard to the left. I got that fixed asap. No clue how they came loose they had been on there for probably 15 years since the front end grenaded and needed rebuilt, but that was before my time driving it.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Most likely bumpsteer. What kind of lift and steering correction do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]
    None...yet. Still stock.
    U-bolts and everything is tight. Will check the balljoints. Getting ready to put 4" springs in front and flips in rear. Cleaning and putting teflon pads/inserts in them this week.

The front axle doesnt look straight. The right side is back slightly and the left side appears to be dead center of the well. (Another thing to check during the spring swaps).

Thanks for the advice

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

siezed caliper guide pins