Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divoced T- case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big75jimmy, Oct 13, 2004.

1. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

I want to put a divorced transfercase in my truck and need to now what trucks they came in.

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[hijack]
    Anyone care to explain or point me too an explination of a divorced t-case? No idea what they be! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Your mostly looking for a Dodge where you can find 203s and 205s. Ford did it too but driver drops. Not too big a deal though since the only diff is in the bearing retainer and input which can be swapped to a GM case.

Divorced just means that the transfer case is not bolted to the transmission like GM did theirs. A divorced case has a short drive shaft connecting a normal (like 2WD) trans to the input of the transfer case. This can be nice in a long wheel base rig with long rear drive shaft. Generally doesn't work well in SWB or K5s though due to making the rear shaft too short...

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your mostly looking for a Dodge where you can find 203s and 205s. Ford did it too but driver drops. Not too big a deal though since the only diff is in the bearing retainer and input which can be swapped to a GM case.

Divorced just means that the transfer case is not bolted to the transmission like GM did theirs. A divorced case has a short drive shaft connecting a normal (like 2WD) trans to the input of the transfer case. This can be nice in a long wheel base rig with long rear drive shaft. Generally doesn't work well in SWB or K5s though due to making the rear shaft too short...

[/ QUOTE ]

Danka!!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. big75jimmy

big75jimmy Registered Member

Which years and models of Dodge?

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Dodge apps, I believe you want pre '75 or so.

Also, if you happen to find a newer ('70-later) GM with a Napco conversion, they also have pass. drop divorced NP205's, but they are like hens teeth. Some may have Rockwell or Dana transfer cases too.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

1974 was the last year that Dodge used them. Mine is from a 1974 Power Wagon, it was available in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton; I would guess the 1 ton also but I don't know for sure.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [hijack]
    Anyone care to explain or point me too an explination of a divorced t-case? No idea what they be! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As explained by others it is not bolted to an adapter but mounted seperately and connected with a short driveshaft. The breakover angle sucks, but I wasn't concerned with that. My shafts are both the same length, making them interchangable if one would break.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Check early 70's IH Pickups. They had pass side drop, and I believe that they had divorced 205's.

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I got one f/s.... PM me if interested.

Marv

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had a few trucks with the Rockwell transfer case (T-221 I think) they seemed pretty rugged to me,but all I did was plow with them,not much off roading--I did take my 72 Chevelle wagon that was converted to a 4x4 on a 69 suburban chassis with a 454 and TH350 off road a few times--it did pretty well,it had lots of power--it seemed to me that the rockwell box had a lower low range ratio than the 205 or 208's I've had since. I'm wishing my 74 K20 had a divorced case--then I could use any tranny,2 or 4 wheel drive,standard or automatic,with the right shaft --I'm still hesitant to part it out,but its pretty trashed--I should be dissasembling it right now,while scrap is 70 a ton! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    I've seen those IHC 4x4 cases,not sure if they are 205's or not,they resemble one at least--one of the ones I saw was a 1 ton,the transfer case was huge,like something you'd expect to see in a 6x6 or 2 ton truck,like a military deuce and a half or something!. I saw a tranfer case in an Elgin Pelican street sweeper my friend cut up at his junkyard too,we never bothered to see what model it was,but I thought it was a strange place for a transfer case--it was a divorced case too--I thought it looked like a NP205,but it wasnt exactly like a normal ford,gm or dodge one,it had weird output shafts and bearing housings. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the Rockwell is an ok transfer case, just hope that nothing breaks on it if you have one. I *did* have one in my truck, it gave me about 12k miles, then one day it just started leaking gear oil like f'ing crazy. I had to top it off every morning and it would be low when I got home, I couldn't pull it because it was my DD at the time. One day the leak got real bad and on my way to school it made a clanking noise. I think that is what killed it. Managed to drive it a few more miles and it locked up on me at 55 mph (not fun). Took it out of the truck, and there are a couple drops of gear oil inside, and the gear oil is silver colored from all the metal flakes. No seals to be found. All the bearings [censored] the bed, but it turned free when out, so Im still puzzled why it locked up. Maybe one of the balls hopped in between two gears, who knows. It actually has a higher low range than the NP205. The T221 has 1.94:1, the 205 is 1.96:1. I still have it in the garage, but I'm going NP205 now.

Also, some of the older IH trucks didnt have the 205...they had the mysterious NP200, 201, or 202, about which almost nothing is known except they are like the 205 but bigger.