Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

divorced 202 transfercase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jason m, Aug 6, 2005.

1. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

i am getting one for my rockwell buggy and was wondering if i should stick to my 205 or run this T-case. i would like to use the 202 because it already has 1410 yokes, i have not seen the case yet my friends shipping it to me, but he says it make a 205 look week, it came out of a 68-69 IH truck thanks, jason.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe that's the t-case with the indirect rear output....meaning the rear output shaft is lower than the input. I could be wrong though. Parts will probably be hard to come by.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I read this on a M715 site :

I was wanting to know about the NP 202. I have also been looking for a 202 to finish up the upgrade on my driveline. However, my book (and everyone I talk to) doesn't have the low range ratio or torque tolerance. Can you tell me what yours is? Also, I think that they came out of a 2.5 ton International. What kind?

Anyone know what the spline count is for the output shaft of the NP200 transfer case? I have not pulled my yoke off yet and am still looking for a flanged yoke that would possibly bolt to the brake drum when I change the driveline to the brake location.
    The NP 202 is a through drive transfer case that is dimensionally about the same size as the NP 200. Most people prefer the NP205 to the NP200 as the 205 is also a through drive design but the NP 202 input and output shafts are a good 1/4 inch larger in diameter and the gears measure a good 3/8 thicker and the front output shaft rear bearing cap is iron instead of aluminum. They used these transfers in 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton and 2 ton and maybe possibly 2.5 ton IH trucks but I am not for sure on that one. The transfer has the same lowrange as the NP205 and NP200 but it also has a neutral position so you can use the PTO outlet on the 202 and speed up and reverse your winch with your transmission. Internally this transfer makes the 205 and 200 look puney.

The NP202 is basicaly a larger and heavier duty version of the NP 205 as the operation of them is the same but the shafts and gears in the 202 are larger and require a custom 1350 forged steel spicer yoke{$95.00 apiece) if you want to convert from 1310 U-Joints

Start looking at International Harvester trucks, they are the only ones I've ran across that have these monster cases. mostly in ex-power company type trucks 1 1/2 ton and up. usually these large IH parts are cheaper (I've found) because there is hardly any market for them. (good for us!)If you part one out, you should be able to get the old driveshaft and its' expensive yoke too.

I do not know what a fair price for a 202 would be (Pascal said he gave $200 for it at pick a part). Some of the extreme duty IH trucks came with the Dana 70 with 35 spline inner and outer axle shafts (good luck finding a lockout hub with the 715 bolt pattern and 35 spline) Some of the IH trucks came with the same axle as a 715 in the front, Dana 60 with 70 knuckles and spindle and hubs but use the 30 spline shafts and as commonly believed these are not the same as Dana 44 shafts as they use an enourmous U-joint and are a vey strong forging and unlike a Dana 44 do not have the recessed area just before the seal(where they always break) or the miniature 44 outer U-joint breaks and destroys the entire shaft. Truthfully though out of simplicity I would probably use a divorced 205 as it is plenty strong and you can modify your stock transfer brackets to work plus if you want to change the yokes and U-joints to 1350 spicer the yokes are cheaper.(the 1350 yokes for a 202 cost me nearly $100 apiece as they are forged steel instead of cast and they were not available from spicer in cast.

4. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

thanks for that info, the case already has the 1410 end yokes so i think i will use it, i all ready found a second case from a local guy with another set of 1410 yokes so if i find a way to brake the first one i have a spare case or parts, jason.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Break it , the shafts and gears are larger than a 205 ......... I bet ya break your back lifting it though :D