Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced 205 driveshaft angles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ugly_blazer, Apr 20, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a divorced 205 from a 1974 Dodge that I want to put in my 1979 K-20 with a 6" suspension lift. What considerations must be taken when installing/mounting this case in regards to driveshaft angles? I would guess that the intermediate shaft and the rear shaft should be within a few degrees on each end of each shaft. What about the front shaft? It seems like the angles wouldn't cancel each other very well. I want to use a standard 2 joint style shaft (not a CV). Should I even worry about the front shaft since it won't be spinning very fast in 4 wheel drive? Thanks.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if it were me i would make the frt & rear shafts equal length. this way the angles would be the same & u could use the rt shaft in the rear if u were to tear the rear up & not the frt. i guess the easy way to say that would have been: they would use the same trail spare.

the guys around here that run d-vorced cases do it that way /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

With a 6" lift I'd sell that transfer case to someone that wants to measure their lift in feet instead of inches.

If you do end up using it though, keep in mind that while u joints in the same shaft must operate at similar angles, all three shafts don't need to be the same.

In order to cancel vibes, just make sure that both joints in the same shaft operate at the same angle, or very close to each other, and you'll have no problems.

I personally would just run married case though. Less potential problems.

4. ugly_blazer

Thanks for the replys. A few reasons I have for wanting to use the divorced is so I can also use a 400 trans, not have a CV shaft in the front (I have bad luck with these), and not have the output/input shaft connector sleeve. It seems like to have opposite equal angles on the intermediate shaft and rear shaft that the 205 must be mounted on the same "plane" that the transmission is, which is slightly downhill towards the rear. But then the front 205 output and the front Dana input would both be pointing up?

84_Chevy_K10: I notice in your profile that you run 15" wheels. Did you have to grind on the front calipers or backing plates to fit them? How much?

Thanks

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, of course I had to grind my calipers and backing plates to fit the 15s on a Dana 60 with this much backspacing. It took four hours for each side.

What issues are you having with the CV? Is it binding?

6. ugly_blazer

WOW! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Thats a lot of grinding!

I have never had a "new" front CV shaft. I had used ones in decent shape, but always had a 203 case and wore them out quickly. Now I have (3) 205 cases. The shaft I have now on the married 205 is brand new but the stops in the CV end hit and they needed to be ground down to get the shaft to hook up to the D44. It seems that at this angle the CV would wear out quickly.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What is wearing out? The pivot ball? U joints?

8. ugly_blazer

The pivot ball.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Never had that problem so I can't say. I've never let it spin constantly though.