Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced 205 transfer case ?'s

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mkmiller, Feb 3, 2003.

1. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Divorced 205 transfer case ?\'s

I just bought a divorced NP205 transfer(couldn't pass it up). It's out of a '63 chevy and seems to work fine. Give me some opinions on the pros and cons of the divorced unit. I was planning on keeping it to run behind a Th400 tranny. Also, What are these things going for in your area? No it's not for sale. Like I said I'm looking for PROS and CONS of the thing as this is the first one I found and I know it's stamped 4-20-63 on the case.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Re: Divorced 205 transfer case ?\'s

If it is the case that originally came in the '63, it is a Rockwell T-221, not a 205.

3. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

It came out of a 3/4 ton. It has the small 2-3"diameter plate in the center of the back of the case. I thought only 205's had the plate?

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I originally thought I had an NP205 also, but it turned out to be a Rockwell T221 - a tough tranny but just hard to get parts for. Some like it for the low rear output. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

5. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Like mentioned, if it's an original divorced case, it's a Rockwell. Should be a tag riveted to the top if it is. The tag says Rockwell T-221 and also gives the ratio. I've got a Rockwell married to a 4 spd in my '68 and another one mated to a 3 spd sitting in my driveway. Not sure what there worth but they are a rare find. Just need to find someone looking for one is all. I suppose if you had a long bed you could rig up a dual case set up but might be more trouble than it's worth. I don't recall a 205 being used in any divorced case set up for Chevy. Ford might have used them in the 70's. Maybe someone swapped it in? Clean it up and look for casting numbers and tags. If it's a 205, should say NP on it somewhere.

6. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a '66 3/4 ton with the divorced Rockwell. His is trashed and he has been looking for a replacement. He can buy the parts needed to fix it, but he is looking at over $500 plus the rebuild (his time.) He has had a very hard time even getting any info on the t-case. If you were closer, he'd probably buy that thing off ya.

7. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

THANKS! The picture Yukon posted does not look like the transfer I have. At the very bottom on the case mine has raised numbers"1.96 to 1 ratio". It has no tag on it, but the back is similiar to the pic, only the center plate looks smaller on mine and the outer plates look bigger. It looks very like the one in my blazer only it's divorced. I'll have to snap a few pics of it tomorrow and try to post them. Could it be out of something else? I know it has the date of 4-20-63 stamped in it but I can't find a GM stamp anywhere?
    Matthew

8. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

I just had to run out and take another look. It is definately a 205. It has an E-brake setup on the rear output shaft as well. I've got to run to work or I'd go take some pics and post em.

9. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

maybe you could use it in a doubler type setup. just an idea...

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Could have been swapped over from a Dodge or IH. Many of these were remote - although I haven't seen one with a drum brake. Very cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW: The Spicer 23 also ended up in place of some of the divorced Rockwells /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

very interesting thread we have going on here. Sorry I can't post anything about this stuff. I KNOW NOTHING about it. One question I do have.... about how much extra (lost)horse power does it take to run the 205?

12. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

I've got the pics, now I can't post em! Me + computer=Bad Combo. Someone help post 'em? I can email them to ya.
    Thanks,
    Matthew

13. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

14. ChiScouter

ChiScouter Newbie

Dodge and IH used divorced 205's. Before the 205 IH used a 202 which looked just like a 205, but was around 10 percent larger

15. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dodge and IH used divorced 205's. Before the 205 IH used a 202 which looked just like a 205, but was around 10 percent larger

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen a 202, or any other earlier model New Process case, but I am guessing that the one the mkmiller has is one of these older models. It does not look like a 205, and he said it has a date tag from 1965. I am pretty they didn't start making NP205s until at least 1969.

16. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Looks like a NP 202 to me . I think the 205 was the replacement for the 202. Look at the cast seal retainers and the cast iron rear cover for the front output shaft.They seem to be strong but I'll bet parts are very scarce.

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

That is a COOL looking t/c mount set up !
    What is the difference between the NP 200 and the 202's ?
    They seem to look very similar , the only ones I have seen in person I have not had time to really look them over , other than that I have only seen pictures or drawings.