Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

divorced case, is this a crazy idea??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Sep 4, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you go up to like 6"-8" of lift you have front driveline problems right? well would it be crazy to set up like a divorce mounted doubler in a suburban? the rear line is long enough to make it possible and it would make the front longer eliminating some of the problems, and with it divorced you could clock it up into the frame with out special adapters.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I know they make divorced 205's, you would just have to find one. But that does sound like a pretty cool idea if you have the length like you do. I just dont know if they make a divorced 203 for the front. Maybe someone can answer that.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Both ford and dodge use divorced tc's. In the F250 ford went from a divorced to a married tc when they went from the high rider to the low rider around '78 or so.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Ford used a divored '203 for awhile.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Of course, clocking it up into the frame worsens the front driveshaft angle again. Of course, a sub is so long that it runs the quarter-mile without the rear wheels crossing the light tree. So you could probably center the T-case between the two axles and run the same driveshaft front and rear. Only one spare and the same angles front and back.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I know a guy who has a manual transmission and a divorced t-case out of a really old (like mid 60's) chevy truck. I could ask him if he wanted to part with them if you want them (although they are super heavy and in Michigan). I think a divorced t-case setup in a burban would be the $hit... The guy who has the tranny/divorced tcase said that those two units will take some punishment.

7. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I didnt put it together but my divorced setup has been working great on my longbed. It is dropped about 3 inches. I think it would really help if you were tryin to install a really tall lift.

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

See if you can clock your existing T-Case to make sure you have enough drive shaft clearance, then you have multiple low range capabilities /forums/images/icons/grin.gif (Cheap "Doubler") I am probably going to go that route on my Crew Cab, but I am going to use a driver's side drop Dana 60 and divorced 205. (Because I can get them CHEAP!) Always a deciding factor.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, great, you can lower your transfer case and gain back driveline angle with a divorced setup, but you give up breakover angle and major ground clearance in doing so.

I personally have a 6" lift with a stock front driveshaft and it works fine. My front driveshaft is extremely short too with the 4 speed/205 combo.

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You couled probably fab something up without the help of ORD's doubler...Just get your hands on a divorce mounted 205 w/ passenger side drop (so Early Chevy or Dodge) and fab up a way to hold it between the frame rails...The just run a real short shaft between you current 205 and the divorced case...the fab up a shifter...Damn, If I had that kind of wheelbase to play with, I would be in the garage now /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Start looking for a divorced t-case with passenger side drop...

Chris

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Or...get a cheap, high-pinion '60 from an early Ford and a Divorced transfer and have your pumpkin on the driver's side....

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Maybe I could talk to John Marlin about doing a double 205 setup. He's the guy who invented the Marlin crawler. I know where his shop is here in Fresno.
    Y'all are givin me thoughts now....... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

International trucks used the divorced 205 with a really slick crossmember that is easily adaptable to a Chevy frame. I ran one in a 55 Chevy converted to 4WD with an old NV 5 spd trans out of a school bus. Worked great and was easier to service than the married T-case.

14. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I have a 208 turned upside down with slip yoke, a really short driveshaft and a divorced 205 with the rear clocked down to make the rear drivesaft angles better. The rear is about 32" but the angles are something like 14 degrees.

The front driveshaft was "a little" more complicated...
    It is 3-piece, 4 u-joints, 2 slipyokes and 2 carrier bearings! Propably there is something not needed but none of the u-joints have more than 14 degrees at rest and nothing is hanging under the frame when you looke from the side. But I only have maybe 2-3" of lift so it helps ofcourse.

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am going to do it in my blazer. the rear is long enough for me, i feel anyway. i can have one spare driveshaft as well.
    with some mods anyway. you could also use a case OTHER than a 205. might ahve to have some custom work done. but it is possible.
    i have been trying to get Or2play to see this also. he has LOTs of driveline in the rear of his burban... bout the same as you i am sure.. he he...
    but anyway.. he just wants the simple way out. you do have 2 more U-joints and a small shaft to buy, but oh well.
    grant

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok how about this: my th400 a klune-v goliath 3.5:1 or so, about 10"-12" of shaft and then a divorced 205. or even a married 205 since the klune-v would push it back some.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i still like the idea of = length shafts...
    it just makes life so much easier.
    and the idea of flatening out the 205 so your angles are the same or very close.
    grant