Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced doubler? 205/205

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kickinasphalt383, Apr 13, 2003.

1. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to make a doubler by adding a divorced 205 to 465/205...etc. by using the output u-joint of the 1st 205 as the input u-joint of the 2nd 205? Or is this a really stupid idea?

Also if that isn't possible what would be the shortest driveshaft that could be made for it?

sorry if its been discussed before, i couldn't find anything. thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Seems like a lot of work, inasmuch as you'd never use the front output of the first xfer case. And you'd have a fun time making the shafts line up -- the second tc would have to be clocked or shifted to one side to clear the first one.

You sure you wouldn't rather use a '203 range box? I know, they're $pendy and you prolly have two 205's (lucky you!).

-- A

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You will need two ujoints and a short slip joint or it will bind up and break parts when it moves around. The only way to get around this would be to build some kind of braces from each one to keep it perfectly straight and solid, in which case it technically wouldnt really be divorced.

4. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

My setup is like that, 208 + divorced 205. The 208 is clocked upside down in order to make room for the front driveshaft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You'd have to find some way to make it so there was a slip joint between the two.

I once saw this set up but they did something really peculiar. They used a Lovejoy coupler between the two. I don't know how well it held up but it looked like it'd been on there a while. I wouldn't imagine it'd hold up very well but you never know.

Now if only it had a slip yoke.. all your problems would be solved... haha.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend did an Toyota 4AGE engine/trans swap into a Sami and did something like that. We considered a Lovejoy coupling, but the HP/torque/RPM requirements were too great for any we could find.

Ended up machining several drive flanges so the middle driveshaft goes something like this: slipyoke at trans; U-J; flange; index modified flange bolted to first flange; U-J; flange; t/c input flange.

When it first went together it had a horrible vibe at around 4500 and again at redline (7300) with any load on it. He ended up making a frame that bolted to the trans in place of the trans mount plus a couple other places and bolted to the t/c in place of it's mounts, which then mounted to the Sami frame with some industrial vibration isolation mounts.

7. kickinasphalt383

so you are saying if i had a slip-yoke NP205, i could just bolt that u-joint to the other input. or would i still need a short driveshaft? in which case i would just use my current 205.

Also does clocking a t/c do any damage by not getting bearings oiled properly?

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Hey Kickin.... where at in Michigan are you? I know a guy who lives by me (over by Flint) that would be willing to sell you a 203 (or any other part for these damn trucks) and hes pretty cheap too!

9. kickinasphalt383

I am in royal oak.

How do you like kettering?

10. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    It isn't bad... WE NEED SOME MORE CHICKS!!! Calling all chicks, you need to come be engineers!! Workload can get bad, but its only 2nd week right now so its still party time. Around 5th-7th week the profs just straight tear into us.