Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced doubler q's

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Seventy4Blazer, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Divorced doubler q\'s

a couple questions.

currently i have a Chevy 205 with a ford input. we have talked about this a time or two before. i also have a Sm465 NP203 factory setup. this is great for a doubler.

BUT, i would like to do a divorced doubler. this way i can equal out the drive shafts and better my angles out all the way. so here are my options.

run the divorced doubler adaptor and find a divorced 205, i have a friend who has one, this puts the cost of the doubler up a few bucks, plus the cost of getting the 205.

or run a divorced 203, that i have, and a 2wd Sm465, i also already have one, and run the doubler setup divorced.

my question is this. of the two ways, what would be best strength wise. having both the range box and the 205 by themselves hanging from a nice setup of x-members, or JUST the 205 hanging by itself?
    thanks.
    grant

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Divorced doubler q\'s

I'm gonna say it's stronger to hang them both out there. That way the intermediate shaft is before the range box reduction and so has less stress. Also makes it sweet to use any old 2wd tranny you care to. 420, 465, TH350, TH400, or throw it in a Ford, or a buggy behind a Mazda Rotary if ya like. Plus, it doesn't need the more pricey divorced doubler adapter.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Russ, i already had your opinion... why ya wanna give it to me again?

nah, im kidding. you bring up a good point. that way i can swap in ANY kind of tranny... speaking of wich i know where a NV5600 is....
    Hmmm.
    anyway... i think thats how i would have to do it. and i was thinking that from the get go after our conversation on sunday.
    i think i need to sleep more. oh, and my fenders are going to become a bit like marvs i think.
    grant

4. BadDog

Well, I figured since I already gave you *MY* opinion, and then you asked on here, you obviously MUST have forgotten what I said. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

well fine then.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    BE LIKE THAT!!!

he he, yeah, im a forgetfull guy, but i can remember almost anything bout my truck...

ill let ya know what i decive.
    but ya did bring up some valid points.
    thanks man.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifgrant

6. BadDog

Hehe, yeah, you actually got me thinking I should go with a divorced 203... Then I could mix an match drive trains easily (maybe a 455 Pontiac with short tail TH400?) and at will. But I already got tranny and all that stuff for a married version. DOH!

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Do what russ said, easy and good.
    Russ, if you want to mess with it later, just put in a divorced input gear and you're ready separate all the parts with 2 more ujoints, another slip yoke, more ubolts and straps, 2 more yoke nuts, some more grease fittings to keep track of and a bunch more mounting bolts.

Are you guessing that I'm not a huge fan of divorced t-cases? But they do serve a purpose sometimes, I'll admit that.

If you set your wheelbase up right, you can use the same shafts front and rear. Mine's 109 and ended up that way. If the front was moved forward a couple inches I could still get away with it even.

8. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, divorced here i come.
    that is the main reason i want a divorced setup. i can cary one spare drive shaft. and a few extra u-joints.

my angles will be WAY better, and i will be a bit more on the outlandish side. especialy since i will be using 4 transfer cases to make one working unit.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifgrant