Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced NP205?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr1553, Sep 25, 2001.

1. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Everyone,

On pg. 55 of the October issue of "Four Wheeler" there is a pic of a divorced 205. What does that mean? From the pic I can see that there is an added box where on mine there is the P.T.O. cover It also lookes like its not mated to the tranny....theres no adapter there....looks like another driveshaft instead.

Later,
    David

2. A divorced transfer case is what you have described. It is not mated directly to the tranny, rather it is linked to the tranny by a separate driveshaft. This is done I believe on some factory vehicles and done on modified vehicle to get less severe driveshaft angles. A married transfer case is directly connected to the tranny by an adapter.

1969 C20 4x4
    4" lift, 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

3. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Ok.....I see. With a big lift your front drive shaft would be at a very steep angle....moving the transfer case back fixes that. Do you know what that added "box" would be? It has its own shaft going back parallel with the rear drive shaft....but the picture doesnt show what it goes to. The box is added on where the P.T.O. cover usually is.

Thanks,
    David

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The box is a PTO adapter. Which would make sense, since it is attached where the PTO cover normally is. It has a gear in it that mates with the t-case input gear, and drives that little drive shaft that goes to that guy's PTO winch. The box also has a shift mechanism so that the PTO can be engaged and disengaged, usually using a cable running into the cab.

BTW, divorced t-case means that it has irreconcilable differences with the transmission.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Tim,

WOW!!!!

I had no idea there was such a thing. I did a search and read the posts about them....now I want one! Sounds like a much better deal than an electric setup. If the engine dies then I'll just have to use the come-a-long.

I'll guess I'll have to watch the "for sale" board and wait for one to pop up.

Irreconcilable diferences huh.....LOL!!!

Thanks,
    David