Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

divorced (re: "Bill on Rights..." thread )

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shaggy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

This is a quote from the thread with the new bill of rights things. I wanted to make a comment on this, or actually, give you a hypothetical situation that helps explain why this is a neccessary evil in a free society. Maybe I interpreted your meaning wrong, if so then sorry.

Let's say a cop hears that there's a house where some people live and they possess item "X", which they aren't supposed to have. Never mind if it's illegal because it's contraband, stolen or whatever, just that it's illegal for these particular people to possess. The cop goes into that house without a warrant and sees item X, arrests the people and puts them in jail. They are convicted because "guilty is guilty", even though the cop entered without a warrant.

Let's say another cop gets bored one day and starts doing house to house searches to try and stir up some people that are breaking the law. Eventually he finds a house that has somehting illegal, those people are guilty because guilty is guilty and the technical details of how he caught them are unimportant. What about the rights of all the innocent people who's houses he searched?

What if the cop in the first example had heard that "a house on Street Y posseses item X"? Does that give him the right to search all of the houses until he finds the illegal item?

People who get off on a technicalities are the result of a neccessary evil of a free society, that eeil being the limitations we put on those who enforce our laws. If we don't put controls on those who enforce our laws then who is supposed to protect us from them abusing the power we give them?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Good post, and I completly agree with you. In the other post in my mind I was thinking more of the minor things that some dirtbag lawyer digs up and gets a guy off of murder or rape charges or similar when all evidence suggests the defendant is clearly guilty. Imagine you witness a loved one being murdered and at the trial the guy walks because a form wasn't properly filled out, or possibly a procedure was violated by an officer. You saw him do it and you know he is guilty, and the whole jury knows he is guilty, but something minor comes up and frees the killer. That's more what I was trying to describe.

Gotta go to work now, millions on welfare depend on me! :D

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I guess it's a fine line between a minor detail that was an honest mistake by the arresting officer or whatever, and a detail that entailed trampling on the rights of someone, whether they were guilty or not.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, that's how I see it also. It's difficult to have an all-encompassing law to cover all situations. I surely don't want my rights trampled, but I also want justice for those who perpetrate a crime against me or someone close to me.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Great post guys. I agree with both of you. :D

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Our Founding Fathers weren't dummies, were they?

Now if we could just do something about the whole current crop.......