Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced t-case questions. Help me see the light!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whassup, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

What is the deal with them? I've read about it, but never seen it. What are the advantages? And how is it done on a K5 with its short wheel base?

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Re: Divorced t-cases

That was real hot stuff in the 70's with the 205's (very strong)and some others. Kinda nice because you use a regular 2wd trans. I dont see any particular reason you would swap one in unless you got it for free or something. I think it could be done on a K5(as far as driveline angles) but with all the shaft changes would it be worth it?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

3. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Would going with a divorced setup eliminate the need to re-angle the carriers for a 12 inch lift? that is the main difference I am asking. Maybe whiteknight can shed some light on this for me, or any of you others that might have a divorced setup.

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!

4. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

going to a divorced transfercase on a k5 would not work to good because in effect you would be moving the transfercase back farther than it is now because you would have a driveshaft between the trans and transfercase, and if you made that shaft as short as you could your rear shaft would still be at too much of an angle because of the short wheelbase of the blazer, especially if you had any kind of lift, and if you don't have any lift, why change the stock setup....I had a couple of mid 70's Ford (yes, I must admit it) 3/4 and 1 ton crewcab shortbox trucks with the divorced 205 and it was a great setup, you could lift them skyhigh and the only problem was steering, which hydralics would solve for off road use. also made servicing trans and clutch easy, because there was no need to remove the transfercase....just my 2 cents.....on a different note, if a guy could find a transfercase that was strong enough designed similar to a nissan divorced transfercase (have a 84 here) it would be nice in a blazer because the input is on the top and both the front and rear output are on the bottom....it's a nice little unit, but I doubt it would live long behind a v8...I may try stuffing a 4.3 chev v6 in the nissan though....

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

We just installed a divorce t-case on our truck. When you're up to a 12" suspension lift your angles get quite extreme. Last year we modified our driveshafts and went through 7 different fron shafts before we got something that worked. This year with the divoce our drive angles are much better. The servicing as mentioned is much easier on the trnny and t-case (dodge 205 t case). That middle shaft is only about 15" in length and will be the weak point. But you need a weak point cause something will give. I prefer replacing a shaft than a tranny or t case. We used 1410 and 1350 u joints .
    We have not tested it yet but know several lifted trucks that are using them and are very happy with them
    I guess we'll find out this season.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey FastEddy, try a Timken T-221 divorced case from a 1960-1966 GM 4x4. They too have the rear output about 6" lower than the input, just like the front output. That's the one I am thinking of using in my '77 Sub. The only downside is the low-range ratio is "only" 1.94:1. I wonder if ORD is going to be making a doubler with just a yoke on the back of a 203 range box?!?! Hint, hint, Stephen!!! That way, I could use the T-221 with the doubler in a divorced fashion and still have decent driveshaft angles on my 12" lifted Suburban.

ken

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

How strong is the T-221 compared to the 205?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, its all cast iron and big gears...no chains. You be the judge. My guess is that it would only be a bit weaker than a 205.

ken

9. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info ken....if a guy was going to run that timken divorced transfercase, instead of going thru the expense and enginiering of making a doubler, one could just use a standard trans between the transfercase, then you would have all kinds of options, forward and reverse. be just like a big rig with a 5 and 4.....I should have thought of this with my crewcab, the people in the back seat could shift also!!!...kidding

10. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

you can instal a doubler between trans and transfer this way to make it an over under unit before the transfer just get one low geared

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s