Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced T-Case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakt, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jakt

jakt Registered Member

Whats the difference between a divorced T-Case and one that isnt? Quality of life, maybe? Seriously though, I have been wondering.
    Dan

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A divorced case means that it mounts on it's own crossmember and is connected to a 2wd style transmission with a short drivshaft. A married t-case means it bolts directly to the transmission (adapter). There are advantages and disadvantages to each, depending on what you are looking to do with your truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you mount it directly in the middle of axles and get the same yokes for tcase and axles you only need 1 spare drive shaft . because thay are the same length. and if you want a different axle than factory style, such as ford in a dodge or gm , or vise versa. or a tranny that is only a 2x4 tranny and never came with a married tcase.

4. jakt

jakt Registered Member

beautiful, thank you. I feel enlightened.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I like mine because I can swap to almost any transmission without having to have the right input/output shafts, adapters, front and rear driveshafts lengthened or shortened, etc... and I think it looks cool.

6. sweetk30

yep i have a dodge tcase thats going in my crew cab when i make it 4x4. so that it will help with drive shaft angles also.

7. jakt

jakt Registered Member

so for ease of interchangeability, divorced is the way to go? Not a bad idea. A divorced setup makes for a higher chance of something breaking, right? More U joints and all.

8. sweetk30

if you want a divorced tcase then find a dodge or a international truck. thay used them and were pass side drop. and in my opinon the lack of a c/v joint setup would make it stronger. and as long as you use 1 ton joints then you will not need to worry much.

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I take you have to get different shifters for a divorced setup dont you? Although I guess it would be kinda cool to have the T case lever right by my seat though ;P

10. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Early Chevy's had them too. My 66 K20 has a Divorced Rockwell T221.

11. sweetk30

yes but the parts are much easyer to find for the 205. but the rockwell 221 is strong also.

12. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dodge M37 military trucks and Kaiser M715 had the divorced NP200, which is basically a divorced NP205. I think the yokes on the NP200 are about a 1350 size. You can pick an NP200 up for a $100.

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The NP200 in the Dodge and Jeep military trucks is pretty sweet, it has a 2nd rear output with a parking brake drum attached.

if you really want beef, get a NP201 (40's, 50's, early 60's) or a NP202 (60's) from an International (and maybe some dodges too). They make the 205 look small.

the rockwell is a good tcase, but watch it for leaks. there is also a bigger version of it, the T223, that came in medium duty trucks.