Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Divorced...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What is it meant for a transfer case and other things to be divorced? Is there an advantage? I saw it on ebay, ORD and somewhere else and was puzzled /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

When the t-case isnt bolted to the transmission it is called divorced. There will be yokes on the t-case and trans and a small driveshaft that connects the 2.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a divorced tcase is one that does not bolt directly to the transmission. there is a driveshaft between the tranny and tcase.

you can't do it in a blazer because the wheelbase is too short, but in a longer vehicle, like a LWB or burb, one advantage is you can move the tcase so the front shaft is longer so you don't have to run a cv shaft

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I see. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I just put a divorced 205 from a dodge in my K20 longbed, I need to go pick up the 3 driveshafts that were made for it. I wanted the divorced 205 because then I can use a non-cv style front driveshaft, the t-case is positioned so that the front and rear driveshafts are the same lenght which makes them interchangable, and I don't like the drive sleeve that is used in married units. I only run a 6" suspension lift, so driveshaft angle is not a problem for me, but a divorced case will allow one to to run a big lift and still have acceptable driveshaft angles because you can mount the case lower in the frame which means that the short shaft between the transmission and t-case will have some angle on it, then because the case is lowered the front/rear shafts will not have as much angle. 2 wd transmissions seem easier to find than 4 wd transmissions so replacement of a bad tranny can be easier, and swapping to a different transmission only requires a new diveshaft, not a new adapter/input gear/etc..., and the divorced dodge 205 has all 32 spline yokes for easy interchangability.

Now for the drawbacks - Mine requires a 9.75" long center to center of u-joint intermediate shaft (the one from the trans to t-case) using a long transmission and I have it running straight from the trans to t-case with no angle and this sets the t-case about 2" lower than it would be if it were married, and it hangs down right in the middle of the truck which gives a horrible breakover angle (is that the right term?), you will get it hung up on a lot of stuff if you do any serious wheelin'

6. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

my truck came stock with a divorced np200. i replaced it with a np205 and its using a 9" jack shaft and the case is level with the frame.

[​IMG]

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I wish mine was like yours. Your frame looks just a little different than mine though... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Exactly.
    We use the dodge divirce t-case as well.
    Had a divorce t-case on the K5 as well as this truck.
    For angle issues it definately makes a difference.
    People were "concerned" that the small shaft would be the weak point for us. After 3+ years of using a divorce t-case, never had a problem