Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

divorcet t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

does anyone have a divorced transfer case on their blazer. i was looking at nv4500 and saw that the 2wd were alot cheaper and it got me thinking. the big problem i see is the rear drive shaft. but it would cure the $800 AA problem.

69k5

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Probably would be too long for a Blazer. Though I remember from watching Monster Garage that drag cars sometimes have the tranny hooked right to the rear end with some special coupler....wonder if you could hook a tranny to a t-case that way /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have seen a pic on here of somesome useing a single u joint to hook it up.

the only real problem id you noe have to find a devorsed t case /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

trucks

uts an idea but smacking a driveshaft on something is bad enough. i think that was the ambulance that road wheelies. they do some amazing stuff on that show. id like to see what they could do without such a time constraint.

darkshshadow

i have seen them from time to time on here. a single u joint? now thats an idea. adding little more than an inch or two.

69k5

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I am curious about the single ujoint between the 2. It would suck having to pull the whole tcase out to change one joint!

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

true. definatley time to buy a ctm. could probably do it with just sliding it back a little.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure a single joint is the way to go--I made a homebrew tractor with a pinto 4 speed tranny and a harley davidson golf cart rear end,the tranny has a long tail with the shifter built into it--I coupled it to the rear end with one u-joint,if I used a driveshaft the tractor would have been 12 feet long,so I coupled it directly using a yoke and a flange that matched the rear end.Only thing is,a u-joint causes a shaft to speed up and slow down with every revolution--thats why they always use at least 2 of them,it cancels out the speed variation--it will work,but mine wobbles because of only having one U-joint--I'm not sure how they did this in the "little red wagon" wheelstander I saw at the drags,th same setup with a hemi and a tourquflight tranny coupled diectly to the differential with one u-joint--but I guess they figured out a way.I was tempted to try a CV joint yoke off an old front driveshaft and use 2 u-joints,but grew tired of fooling with it--its got weeds 3 feet high growing around it in my greenhouse shed now--. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

8. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I have done a couple divorce t-case's. They work just as good if not better the a connected set up.If you blow the tranny you just drop it out, you dont have to drop them both!
    Any way, I have a 85 shortbed I put the 400 tranny and a IHC t-case , the tranny is a short shaft 400 and has a slip yoke,and the u-joint bolt directly from the yoke to the t-case.I put it together for a test run to see if everyting worked and would last.That was 8 years ago and 50 thousand miles.Same u-joint and no problems,still going.
    I did an 84 blazer the same way,It was a little tougher to get the t-case in the correct alignment for the u-joint.The frame is a litte different and had to make a lot different crossmember for it.But it worked ,the rear drive shaft was only about 30-35 inches long.
    So do it !!
    And also, both of thse rigs were one ton axles,454,400,IHC tcase,and 44 '' tires.

9. diesel4me

I am tempted to try the divorced case idea--I have a TH400 short tail tranny from a 74 monte carlo that had a 454,and the TH350 in my 74 K20 lost reverse--being short on cash,it would be cool if I could use what I have at hand--and a TH400 would be an upgrade from the TH350.How do you adapt the NP205 to a divorced setup??--do you keep the adapter?-I assume you'd have to,so you would have the "foot" mount,but what about the input shaft??.Do you have to make a shaft to accept a u joint yoke??.Pictures would save a thousand words! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    I loved the rockwell case I had in the 72 Chevelle wagon I had that was converted to a 4x4--it had a TH350 in it from a car,but the good thing about it was I could put any automatic or standard tranny I wanted in it,just by using the correct driveshaft.
    I'd like to do this,but its a lot of work,and having to make the driveshafts fit again could be more than its worth--the truck is badly rusted,needs a lot of repairs to ever be inspected again--so if I did this it will likely just be a "yard truck" to have as a back up plow truck and yard chores.I might be able to scrounge up another truck cheaper and easier--but I am still curious to see how its done with a NP205 case(making it divorced).Might come in handy on whatever truck I end up with. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So do it !!
    And also, both of thse rigs were one ton axles,454,400,IHC tcase,and 44 '' tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh a vote of confidence. ill try it I have nothing but time. i have a bare frame for the 69 I am retsoring/building up kinda. I am going home in a month and can get started. anyone have any idea if there was a 205 that was divorced? seems like i've seen one. ford maybe?? if i can find one it wouldnt take much swapping. my truck has a 350 now but I am planning ona diesel when i get up the money but that will be a while.

69k5

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pictures would save a thousand words!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is from a 1974 Dodge. '74 was the last year for a divorced t-case in a Dodge. It has 32 spline shafts for the input and both outputs. My transmission is a th350 from a 1976 Chevy C10, it has the long (9") tailshaft housing and the intermediate shaft is 9" from center to center on the u-joint caps. The front and rear driveshafts are the same length, 48.25" I think, and are interchangable.

[​IMG]

12. diesel4me

Thanks for the photo!--so I guess you cant use a GM NP205 then??.What other cases besides a dodge would work?.And the crossmember on yours,is that a dodge crossmember too??.It looks very similar to the crossmember the rockwell case I had ,it "hung" from the top,with nothing under the case.
    Its cool that both shafts ended up the same lenth,and you coul swap them in a pinch.Too bad I guess a GM case wont work--I have a NP205/TH350 case,a NP203/TH350 case,and a NP205/SM465 case available for free--but if I assume correctly,they cant be converted to a divorced input shaft yoke setup,so you have to use a dodge case??. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

dodge, international, and the rare oddball divorced GM NP205 will all work. So will the T221 and the bigger new process cases from International trucks.

iirc, you cannot convert a married case to divorced, but divorced cases usually sell cheap.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't know very much about swapping the input shafts to use a GM 205, someone else here might know. The crossmember is the Dodge crossmember, I just made brackets to adapt it to my frame. I have read thet some old Internationals also used divorced t-cases. You could always use a Ford divorced 205 and a Ford front Dana 60 if it will bolt in... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

divorced, how many driveshafts did you have to get made then? Did you run your stock front driveshaft to the rear diff? Strong enough? Thanks.

I have a spare, new long tail th350 (same lenght/yoke as th700) and would like something like this.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had to have all 3 shafts made. They aren't completely "new" though as they use tubes from old shafts. I used 2 factory rear shafts. I had them cut to the right length and new slips put on. So the rear shaft is the one that came in the truck and the front shaft is from the rear of a parts truck that I had, only both have been shortened. The intermediate shaft was made from one of the two peices of a two peice shaft and has a different u-joint on each end so that I could use my factory transmission yoke and t-case yoke. It was $480 for all three shafts, this includes the 2 new slips, 1 new yoke on the intermediate shaft to hook up to the t-case, 6 spicer u-joints, balancing, and shipping.

17. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Makes sense. Thanks a lot.

18. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I dont see a shifter rod in the picture ,, what up? use a pry bar ?

19. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

that is an awesome front driveshaft in that pic.

I think diesel4me had agood idea with using a cvjoint. my front driveshaft is already a cv. if i took one like it,used only the cv part connected to just enough for the slip yolk. it would be short. probably shorter than the stated 9" in the picture. that would be a problem because of my wheelbase. the cv would also save me some posiible vibrations if they ended up not perfectly level.

Ive never seen a crossmember like the one in the pic. hangs a little low but that would help with angles and I could put a bigger rotoe on my driveline brake.

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont see a shifter rod in the picture ,, what up? use a pry bar ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had just put in the t-case and driveshafts and was so excited that I grabbed the camera and just started shooting . I have since mounted the shift lever and a linkage, it sucked climbing under there with the pry bar and hammer! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif