Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dixie 28 mt gear reduction starter

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by KRUM, Jun 5, 2003.

1. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

ok i bought one and i seem to be having shim problems i put in the shim that came with it but it doesn't seem to be meshing with the flexplate. i can hear the starter solonoid
    engage but it just clunks and doesn't turn over.i can manually turn the engine by hand and it seens to mess but it won't start again after i turn it off.
    any ideas?its a 6.2-T400 combo
    thanks,
    Jerry

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Have you tried it without the shim? I dont have one on mine and i get proper engagement. Might give it a try.

3. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

do you have the dixie 28mt? and how fast does yours turn? i have dual opima red tops and they are fully charged so juice is not my problem
    thanks,
    Jerry

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I dont have a dixie starter but i do have a 28mt. Shims do not have to be used in all applicatons. You can also get different thickness of shims. The clunk you here can be the starter pinion making contact with the fly wheel , i would try it with out the shims to see if that helps. why did you replace your old starter. My starter turns much faster than the regular 6.2 starter.

5. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

my brushes were worn out i'll try the shim thing and see whas going on,but the starter came with the shim and it said i was sopposed to use it.
    thanks,
    Jerry