Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dixie Run, The Aftermath!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Depdog, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I got there late 7:30P.M. Friday eve. Rained on the way up, got the tent setup and met Rob and Robbie and talked for a couple minutes. Eric dropped by and we all aggreed on trail 9 at 7:55 a.m. this was rid 14. Rained more that night, I thought this was going to be NASTY. I had to lock the hubs just to get out of the camp area it was so muddy. Keith did not make it because of some home and truck issues. It was Depdog (me) Yeild2Me (Rob) MTPockets (Robbie) BigJbear(Jim) GrimReaper (Eric) and Ftn96 (Brandon) that made it to the Dixie Run, there were some other people there that have been on the site, but I dont know if they are actually members or not (Ben Jordon if your here chime in, he had an awesome 2nd Gen K5 that was really beat and on 44's. He now has a 1st get that he is trying to keep more straight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Anyhow, get up late, get on the c.b. and cant find the ride, nobody knows where Gunner Byrd is (trail boss) I hear him on another channel and finally get hold of him, they had started up already, got him to stop and got hold of Rob and Robbie, Rob told Grim, but they were trying to get Jim registerd since they closed registration early on Friday Night. Anyhow to make a long story short, Rob and I make the ride with Robbie catching up just as we got to trail 9. Grim and BigJbear did not make it and Ftn96 was camped in another area and did not know anything about it yet (we did not see him till Saturday night). Trail 4 is muddy nasty with some good slick rock ledges, but no real problems, back it up and bump the gas a tad, get some wheelspin and shoot up em. Get done with 4 cross Fains Fjord, love that ledge) take 8 going up to 9 (slickrock) and the Early Bronco in front of me dumps a motor mount and keeps ripping the tranny out of gear (sounds aweful, like death trows from the Titanic) get the motor chained down and finally get him about 200 yards up the trail so we can go up 9. On the way up nine and I hear some strange bumping noises. Look under the old K5 and see the driveshaft is too long, its completley closed and I am praying it does not knock the output shaft out of the Tcase. Get to the rock garden on 9 and watch Gunner in his scrambler and another guy in a CJ7 get up Slickrock, pucker factor is kickin in cause it looks NASTY! Older gentelman and his wife (Jerry, I love your TJ and we appreciate the Grocerys, Chaz says hey and he is still holding your business card)in front of me with a bad ass TJ, stretched with D60's front and rear on 42"TSL's, he makes slickrock look silly, walks it without having to back at all. Whew, now its my turn. Get through the rock garden, up to the first series of ledges, take a bad bounce and cant get the rear end up over one ledges (14 bolt boat anchor housing is really holding me up) Get high centered on both the front 60 and the 14 bolt (now I am embarrased) pull cable, drag the old fat girl off the pumpkins (about a foot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) put the cable up and stomp on the skinny pedal. Up and over (Run Rob run, here I come /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) Up to the last major ledge right at slick rock, back up and bump it, not enough, back up and nail it, ahhh just right up and over and to the beast...

Slick rock lives up to its name, take the right line and hammer on it some, bet to bouncing lift left front about 3 foot and it stays, teeters and goes back down (pull seat cushion out of my ass and yell WINCH) By god do I LOVE my HS9500I I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT. Got it hooked up and started the pull with a little help from the go pedal, ass end goes left front end goes right and its going over, dun dun da daaaa HS9500I spools like mad grabs the front pulls it down and saves the day did I mention I LOVE MY HS9500I, line speed ROCKS! Oh damn, fogot to mention, right before the front tire lifts the first time, I blew the power steering pump. No power steering and 40" rubber aired down to 10 psi on a 6K plus pound rid (THIS SUCKS) I got me a serious case of Popeye arms right now. I had to drive it the rest of the way up and out of 9 (no cake walk, two more winch spots for me cause I cant steer the damn thing) Then out 8 and 4 and 5 then 1 and back to camp. About 4 hours! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rob is next up, he hammers on the Red Rocket like its a rental car in a crash up durby. He gets to the same spot I do and has to pull cable after we hear a loud bang and figure he blew a shaft. Get it up and cant find anything broken. Let me tell ya, he aint afraid of the go pedal, he is the second person I have seen on slickrock that got the tires hot enough to dry out the rock and start smoking all four tires. Even with all that, no dice, had to pull cable. Robbie was coming up as we were moving on, I believe he had to winch at the top as well, but am not positive (Friday he blew an axle on 12 I think he said it was Robbie chime in and give us all the details, he had two friends with him in their Jeeps and one blew a ring and pinion and they did not get out till 10P.M. Sat night).

Back to Rob, he has my oldest son with him and his bud Kenny (dude you rock, your helping hands were much appreciated) I had the wife and youngest son with me in my K5). So we get over slick rock and the next slimy rock ledges, up the log shute to the last nasty obsticle near the top. Rob is hammering on it and deff. blows the short side ujoint and shafts on this one (no doubt this time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Gunner unlocks that hub and tells him to ease on it as were pulling cable, I yell no, but its too late, I hear metal grind but everything still looks good. We get him up and over and to the top, he makes the hard left and is just about through when the left front knuckle finishes spitting out ball joints and collapes under the K5. Shock is bent, tie rod bent, well pretzeled. Knuckle is BROKEN, not just minus ball joints, but broken. We tie it off with the winch, break out the high lift and get it up so we can asses the damamge. Rob has two spare ball joints, I grab the ball joint press out of my box (I has just picked it up from Keith on Thursdsay, it makes short work of u-joints, I dont even have ball joints anymore, Thanks Keith!!!) Rob and I get the knuckle off and Gunner and I press the one joint still in it out and press a new one in. I take the knuckle rotor and all over to my K5 and weld in the upper ball joint and weld up the broken spots and crackes. Greg Hill (tail gunner for the ride) provides the impact and air as well as taking Robs Pretzel rod and making it a tie rod again. Gotta love thick tube bumpers and a couple of strong hands to straighten out a bad tie rod. It looked like new, straight as an arrow!

Anyhow, stuff a rag in the axle hole (no sense putting in a shaft, were on the way out with nothing super nasty left and not gonne wheel the next day, the knuckle has to be changed so there was no reason to put the shaft in) from the BANG of the knucle colapsing to back on the trail was 1 hour and 10 minutes. Nascar can kiss my butt!

Besides my having to be Popeye on the way out it was pretty uneventful except for mashing the passenger door on a Jeep tire on trail 5 coming out. We used two winches to hold K5 up on the bank sideways and while Gunner and Brent worked two different winches and me the throttle and brake I drove past this jeep while held to the bank by the two winches via snatch blocks up high above me on the bank off of thick trees. Talk about a ballet, I know I am not describing this well and if anybody got it on video please let me know so I can get a copy.

Damage for me was a big dent in the passenger door ( will totally pop out when I pull the door panel and push on it) and a small dent in the drivers front fender by the marker light. Got some more trail rash and Killed the power steering pump. Killed my on board air a/c compressor again as well. Driveshaft held although the end cap that holds the grease in the slip yoke is now concave. Rob tore out a tail light and got the same type of front fender damage ( his was a little rougher and on the other side than mine) Broke and knuckle, axle shaft, ujoint and some ball joints. He has sone cool stuff for his broken parts wall. I am not sure what all Robbie broke, or anybody else, I was chasing a power steering pump in town when the guys met back up and took some pics on Sunday morning. Sorry I missed yall.

Well I will add a post to my pics as soon as they are uploaded. Wife got better action shots of Rob's K5 than of mine, but they are still good pics.

Pics are at this link
    http://community.webshots.com/album/51882292xyRGeY

Depdog /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a blast man! And way to be long winded! At least it was a helluva story! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

3. Depdog

Yep, good think I took Typing in high school. I did not realize it was so damn long till I hit post...

LOL

Depdog

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sounds good Glenn. how did the fat girl do on the ride up? i know you were having some problems with balancing those meets. Are those BB's working?

5. Depdog

I have to tinker with the bb's some more, I dont know if I should add more (at 13oz right now) or take some out. They ride pretty smooth up to around 60 to 63 mph, then they will start shaking.

She did good up, there and back. I love the 39's and the 1 TON axles are the [censored], I beat on em hard and nothing gave up (well except the power steering pump) sucks butt trying to steer on a nasty trail with no power steering, it pull my butt up out of the seat a couple times and I had to have Gunner stand on my rocker bar and help me pull on the wheel once in a really tight spot.

Depdog

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Man I'll bet your arms are still screaming and bulging out of their mines /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.giflooks sweet on the trail .
    BTW those are some very good pics.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That knuckle deal was wild and I know what you mean about the Popeye arms, my P/S died at the top of slick rock last year-then the pump bracket cracked into two pieces, it made for a long ride & that was w/ 35s!. Sorry we missed you, I got there latter last year and the registration tent was still open. I thought I was doing good when I roll in and the band was still finishing up. 10 pm is way too early to close it, IMHO. Nothing to report on my end, we ran the 4-6 loop. Fain's Forjd was a lot of fun and I had a good time, but...

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Wow, sounds like a damn good time! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I know what you mean with the no steering. Happen to me at Paragon this year...probably not as bad as yours though...
    I'll be there next year...no doubt!!

9. Depdog

Check out FTN96's post about Dixie as well, were talking dates on the 2003 Southern K5 Tellico Run, hope to use Crawfords campground as well. Its nice, not to expensive and has great facilities.

Depdog

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sorry we missed catching up with you. BigJBear and I ended up catching a later ride and I think we ended up right behind the group that FTN was with. Ran in 4 and other than the muddy pit it was uneventfull. We had hoped to get up to the top of 9 and catch you guys but all the jerk offs not with Dixie run had the trails backed up. By the time we got to 8 where we could cut up we figured it was to late to bother. I'm surprised we didin't run into you on 4 or 6.
    Fains Ford screwed with me and I had to take a couple shots at it. This carb has the same freaking problem the last one had /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Stalled 3 times on me before I got up the ledge. THen BigJBear comes and makes it first shot stands it on it's tail on extra credit and carb never missed a beat. I'm going to pop the top on this carb and craise the float level and see what that does. I'm also going to find something to pack into the dome on the float bowl and take up some space to help with slosh.
    I hate that they are bridging that! Last I heard in November they start making the bridge. That's why they had to smooth out trail 5 so they could get the heavy equipment back to Fains Ford. They will also put a bridge in at not so Rough anymore water crossing.

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dep,
    Yeah, I saw that. Keep me/everyone posted on that. I defiantely want to do that... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

that was fun! got there wed nite...relaxed. thu got up and took the parents up 1 to 4 to fains ford and back down to 5 and out to 1. fri watched the rock crawl contest at crawford camp then headed up to guardrail and helicopter pad. got there just as it started to rain...like last year. winched up to the top of guardrail and took the bypass at heli-pad. took the back side of 11 down to three. used the rub rails to pivot around the blazer eating rock...but sheared a pass. inner shaft trying to back up off another rock next to it. winched up over that one and replaced the axle at camp that nite. sat caught up with glenn and rob and did slickrock...got up to the big rock ok then winched up to the top after getting a little tippy. then back down 8...but my friends jeep had sheared the ring and pinion bolts and i towed him out 8 to 4 to 5 to 1 to the entrance of upper 2 where the flatbed was brought in. so i ate dinner a little late that nite...11:30 or so. will have pics developed and loaded soon.

had a blast...great to see you guys again.

13. Depdog

Robbie, man I am sorry we could not keep together more. I tried calling you on the c.b. several times, we would have helped you with the Jeep.

Wife said she wants a cabin for the next run, she wants A/C at night and a shower to boot. I figure at 95 bucks a night, add a nother couple and we could have pretty affordable and comfortable accomidations. Tellico cabin rentals has 3 cabins right in the same spot off Davis Creek road. Parking, Heat and A/C, shower, kitchen, hmmm. this is a good thing. We will be staying in one of these for the 2003 Tellico K5 Run.

Depdog

14. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Man, first off, it was great seeing you guys again!!! It sucks that Keith couldnt make it, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

We had a great time this year, Kenny had an awesome time, and captured some really good video, but he was a little week on the regular camera. All totaled, I have about2 hours of tape. That inverter for the cameras was awesome!

Like Glen said, nine was blast, a liilte slippery but still fun, I know I had a better time this year thatn last when I was open front, no winch etc. I dont know what color I will paint my truck for next year so Greg doesnt recognize me!!! I have spent more time latched to his jeep than anybody elses truck that I know and I am not sure he even knows my name, but i guess those license plates are kind of a give away!.

When I broke at the top of nine, I was wailing on the poor little Dana 44 pretty hard, and it finaly had enough. But after being behind Glen all day watching him wail on his 60 what was I supposed to do? Kenny was really amazed (hell, as was I) at how fast we had that fixed, and he was asking me if I knew any of the guys that was helping, and I said I knew one more than he did. It was awesome, thanks again to all that helped, esp Glen with the welder.

Robbies mad max k5 was real nimble on 9, he had to take a crazy line because of the 35's, but it did great, and looked great as well. Sorry we didnt get to hollar at ya before you headed out, we stopped by around 8 and your buddies said you took off to the parents house.

I was at the shop tonight washing the truck and checking everything out and the Boss man said he was getting me a 60. So,,we will see.......

I have a lot of "carnage cleaning up" to do tghis week because we are going to the Jamborees at Anderson SC. If anybody makes up that way this weekend look us up>>

Rob

Oh yeah, glen, after studying the video very closely, the mystery noise on slick rock was rocks chips hitting the frame/fenders. We watched it today and you can see them fly off!!