Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dixie Run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftn96, Aug 12, 2002.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

So is it too early to ask who all is "planning" on going?
    We got the flyer from Southern the other day and the wife actually read it and said it sounds like fun. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Weeeeeehoooooo, A Tellico we will go.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

im planning on going down to at least watch...possibly run

i think Boss and yunit are kinda planning on going

and Depdog, Keith and Grim go every year i think

Later

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Myself and the wife will be there, Keith is supposed to be, but that depends on baby number two. Grim and BigJbear ususally go as well.

Depdog

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, if all goes as planned me and the battle axe should be there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'll be there! The only question now if whether or not I will have time to install the TPI setup before then.

Mike

6. Depdog

Mike, you dont have a part number or size for the Drivers side D60 Knuckle studs do you. The ones I want are the four that are on top of the knuckle that hold the steering arm on. The passenger side has those darn bolts and I want to replace them.

Thanks
    Depdog

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

If I can tow my truck down there some how, I will be there. If not, I'm starting to doubt it.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Boss

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

I know that they are 1/2 x 20. I am pretty sure that Watson at ORD has them in stock. You might be able to get a local nut and bolt shop to find or make you some. I just went through this the other day while setting up my crossover steering. I had to swap sides with the studs, and I managed to ruin 2 of them in the process. I just went to the hardware store and bought 2 grade 8 bolts that are the right length. I know, I know! Strength! Well, I put the studs at oposit corners and I figure with the two studs and the two grade 8 bolts it should be plenty strong???? You think?? Or would you got through the trouble of getting the studs?

Mike

9. Depdog

I am going to use the studs, and stud the two leaf spring bolts on the passenger side as well.

NAPA might have an assortment of studs, not sure, going to look now. What crossover arm did you use? Did you get it tapered for the GM Tie rod, and last, where your drag link attaches, is it flat like the rest of the arm, or did you get the 10 degree milling done?

Depdog

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

I bought the one ORD sells, it is tapered for the GM tie rod end and it is milled at an angle to correct for the drag link drop.

You talked me into it, I am going to look for some studs!

Mike

11. Depdog

Let me know what you find. I am going to call the local Chevy dealer and see if they have them in stock (will probalby have to go there as a phone call never seems to work) Just FYI, last year at Dixie, there was a Jeep with 1 ton axles that sheered off all his BOLTs holding his steering arm on his 60, the studs on the other side were fine. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Depdog

12. Boss

Dep,
    If you find studs for the D60 that holds the leafspring down, let me know where you found them. I want to swap out those two bolts for studs as well...Saw a dude strip the threads on his this past weekend, so I want to put studs in there and forget about it...
    I have studs that holds my steering arm down. They came with my steering arm from Parts Mike. It was a standard size if I remember right...forgot what size though.

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

Glenn,

I just got through calling around locally and all I can find is B7 threaded rod that I would have to cut myself. It is a grade 8 quality but it isn't really a "stud". I have a buddy that works the parts counter at the local Chevy dealership. I will call him and see if he can get them. I will let you know.

Mike

14. Depdog

Boss, did the arm come with the studs and nuts? (the nuts look like mini wheel lug nuts) and did his arm come with the end milled 10 degress like I want /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

If hell, when I find some studs (didnt Dodge use studs?) I will let you know.

Mike, if you can get a part number from him on the studs I can take it from there. The part number for the nuts from Spicer is 30875

Thanks
    Depdog

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck we need to set up a Boss traveling suport service up like TRusty had.
    Ok anybody between Maryland and Tellico needs to post up and send Boss phone numbers. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Boss

Dep,

The steering arm did come with studs, but not nuts. The nuts I bought from Home depot. I'm using the nuts with the plastic end to help hold it, b/c I couldn't find the "coned" shape nut (holds better in my opinion). They were all standard sized, I just can't remember it. Maybe I'll give Parts mike a call sometime and ask him....

His arm is not milled down like you want though, probably why it's tons cheaper than ORDs arm.
    Don't know if Dodge used studs to hold the leaf down, but it would be cool if they did. I know the auto parts store won't have studs that big.
    I'm thinking they would have studs for the same size to go into the knuckle though, just gotta figure out that size....

Grim,
    LOL. I hear yah, I would probably end up calling people too! LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Anyhow, maybe I'll try and get with Reb88 and fr8train or something and see what we can come up with... I really want to go, but 13+ hrs one way is a longggggg way. (especially for the trip back... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

17. Depdog

The nuts are available though anybody that can get Spicer, the number is 30875. On the leaf spring studs, here is something interesting I found on Pirate, makes sense to me as well. Whats below is a quote off the post.

<font color="red"> Here is some useful information for you to keep you from breaking the bolts off flush in the top of the housing. The bolts break off flush in the housing when people use spring packs that are THICKER than what came from the factory.The plate that holds the spring down is designed to fit down against the top of the housing.Ever noticed that the housing is flat where the bolts thread into the housing? This is why. If you use a thicker spring pack then the plate does not rest against the housing and more improtantly the side of the bolt is not supported by the housing or plate.This puts a load not only on the head of the bolt ;but, also an incredible amount of side load on the bolt right where it enters the housing when your hitting the rocks.A very easy way to remedy this problem when using a thicker spring pack is to make a spacer the length of the plate and as wide as the flat portion on top of the housing and drill two holes for the bolts to go through.The height of the spacer should be whatever amount it takes to "take up" the gap between the bottom of the plate(also top of the sping) and the top of the housing. I have been running a spacer for over 2 1/2 years after I broke a couple of bolts. I have zero problems now and I run the grade 8 bolts without fear of them breaking off in the housing.One other option is to run two u-bolts,but, to me that option was more time consuming and is pain in the butt to do.either way hope this helps you.Good luck.. </font color>

Depdog

18. Boss

I actually thought about that too. May have to go that route. My spring pack is wayyyy thicker than any other I think...I have 10 leafs per pack... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif (granted each leaf is thinner than ordinary...
    Boss

19. Depdog

Here is a small Dana 60 part number list, also stolen from Pirate (thanks MJ)

<font color="red">34643 SLINGER - PINION BEARING INNER
    706046X INNER PINION BEARING KIT
    706375X KIT - DIFF &amp; PINION ADJ SHIM
    30982 BAFFLE - PINION BEARING
    706359X KIT - PINION BRG ADJ SHIM
    706045X OUTER PINION BEARING KIT
    42737 THRUSTWASHER - BEARING
    42449 SEAL - PINION
    2-4-3801X END YOKE ASSEMBLY (INC 10)
    34592 SLINGER - END YOKE
    30275 WASHER - PINION NUT
    30271 NUT - PINION
    34822 BOLT - CARRIER COVER (QTY 10
    34687 GASKET - CARRIER COVER
    48632-1 BOLT - DIFFERENTIAL BEARING CA
    706047X DIFFERENTIAL BEARING KIT
    706378X KIT - DIFF BRG ADJ SHIM
    30266 BOLT - DRIVE GEAR (QTY 12)
    34367 PINION
    34729 THRUST WASHER
    34730 THRUST WASHER
    44810 LOCK - DIFFERENTIAL SHAFT
    30263 DIFF SHAFT
    36487 SEAL &amp; GUIDE TUBE
    706395X KIT - KING PIN PARTS
    620058 SEAL - KING PIN - UPPER
    37305 RETAINER - GREASE
    706150X KIT - BEARING - KING PIN - L
    41777 SEAL - OIL
    31026-1 SCREW - STOP
    500381-3 NUT - HEX SLOTTED
    500381-3 .375-24 HEX NUT
    500175-1 FITTING - LUBRICATION
    30875 NUT - HEX TAPERED
    38139 ARM - STEERING (LH ONLY)
    620132 CAP - KING PIN - UPPER (RH ONL
    37307 GASKET - KING PIN CAP
    37300 SPRING - PRESSURE
    620180 GEAR
    41886 BUSHING - KING PIN
    37302 PIN - KING
    72837X KIT - RIGHT KNUCKLE ASSY (49,
    72838X KIT - LEFT KNUCKLE ASSY (50, 5
    41893 RIGHT KNUCKLE
    41894 LEFT KNUCKLE
    37879 BOLT - HEX
    37299 CAP - KING PIN BEARING LOWER
    500357-13 LOCKWASHER (KING PIN CAP - LOW
    500412-13 BOLT - HEX (KING PIN CAP - LOW
    37308 SLINGER
    700014 KIT - SPINDLE SEAL &amp; BEARING
    37311 SEAL - OIL
    37312 SPACER - WHEEL BEARING SPINDLE
    620062 SEAL - NEEDLE BEARING
    620063 NEEDLE BEARING - SPINDLE
    36880 NUT - BRAKE MOUNTING
    48816 SEAL - GREASE
    706411X INNER WHEEL BEARING
    706074X INNER WHEEL BEARING KIT
    35830 GEAR, TRAC-LOK
    707083X KIT - DIFF PLATE &amp; DISC (T/L)
    40835 CLIP - DIFF CLUTCH RETAINER </font color>

Depdog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks fellas /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif