Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dixie starters 28MT? Any Good?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86DIESEL, Apr 8, 2003.

1. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

I've found a gear reduction 28MT that is made by Dixe Electric that claims to be new and not rebuilt. usdieselparts.com wants $199 for them without a core. Are Dixie electric brand starters any good? Anyone ever bought anything from these guys? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've given up on my lifetime warrantied stock replacment starter its just not worth the hassle or lack of reliablity anymore /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

What about the AC delco remaufactured that are at advance auto for 193.95+70core /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Are these any better than the Dixie I was looking at? The AC Delco are listed with a lifetime warranty. Even though its says AC on the side i don't want to end up with a piece of junk like my last starter since it is a rebuild:p

2. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

thats the one i am looking at gear reduction and all. its supposed to be brand new. do you or anyone else have an update /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    thanks,
    Jerry

3. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

Yeah i can update you. I wound up buying a remanufactured AC Delco 28MT from advance auto parts with a lifetime warranty. I don't remember the exact price but without a core it was around $280 i think. Inside the box it came in was a tag that actually said it was an upgrade for the 27MT. It has been worth every bit of the price. Fires up first time everytime now and have had no more electrical problems. I did have to modify the front bracket. I made a cut on the stock bracket and bent it apart at the cut until it would work for the new starter, then filled the gap i made with a weld. I think i may have shortened the bracket 1" too.

I plan on taking the old stock replacement elcheapo starter i had so much trouble with apart and seeing what was going on inside and possibly rebuild it myself and keep it as a spare if i need it.

I hope that helps you out some.