Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY alignment questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Apr 4, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i am finally getting around to getting the steering finished on the blazer (after 2 plus years) i got all the cross over steering stuff resting in place (not tightened) i have no tires or rims on the front, i am wondering what is the best way to get this as close as possible. i have read about taking measurements but they are only when the tires are on. thanks chris

2. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i did an "alignment" on my old boss dragg car once this works ok.

put a 8" concreat block behind and 8 feet in front of each roter,(or something to rest it on)
    and lay a really strate piece of wood, we used tubeing becuase we were a welding shop and had lots.
    so you lay it on the block and rest it against the roter(or rim) two little clamps will help great too.

the use a tape and compare your numbers from at the roter to 6/8 feet away and adjust you stearing to make it as strate as you can.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For the steering wheel i make sure the draglink is adjusted so it has the same amount of turning both ways. (to the knuckle stops), drive in a straight line and recenter the steering wheel.
    For the toe in, i'll jack up the front tire one side at a time. get a nail sticking out of a 2x4 and set it in front of the middle of your tire, then spin the tire so it scribes a line all the way around your tire.. do this to both tires.
    then i measure the distance between the lines on the front vs. the back of the tire and that will tell yout how much toe in you have.. i also make sure to measure up off the ground a certain number of inches and keep that point consistent when measuring between the tires. :thumb: