Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY Camo Paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

just wondering whats the best paint to do a camo scheme with. Reason I ask the truck I'm looking at has some rust. The paint is already pretty faded, so after I knock the rust out and start bondoing, I'll want to cover it up. I figure a camo scheme would be great, but which to use thats durable for off-road use? Any other suggestions? I liked the line-x exterrior but $ is a factor.

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

If money is a factor i'd spray bomb that mother. Either flat black or olive drab.

just my $.02 though

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

The right pattern of camo doesn't really need to be durable. I patch mine up periodically and you can never tell.

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you use a brush on or spray on paint. What sort of paint?

My '78 was camo when I got it and I later found out that the previous owner had painted it in (brush on) household exterior paint!!!! (it looks like it too!)

5. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

when i did my 79 cherokee, i spraybombed it. no real pattern, just went at it makin shapes. didnt look to bad. and i could touch it up with the spray

[​IMG]

6. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Seriously I think if you put too much effort into a camo job it looks wrong.

I used Krylon camo from Wal-mart. Its made for various types of metal and is the only spray paint that I have found that actually suggests usage on vehicles. Its got a jeep on the front of the can. Iv seen it in green, brown and I think some kind of tan color.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the Krylon camo paint works good. You can sometimes get millitary camo paint at surplus stors too.

Beings my Blazer is blue and has a bad case on GM Paint flake. I have been thinking of doing mine in blue grey and black in patterns like Ship Cammo the Navy used during WW2.
    What do ya think?
    Cant look any worse than the little Bling Bling cars running around these days.LOL

[​IMG]

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, I've now done two trucks with rattle cans. One I used the Krylon stuff from Wally World, spent a bunch of time masking areas off and prepping the surface, and it came out fairly nicely. The pickup, the brown pattern below, is my tow rig and parts runner, so it has to look sort of nice. (When I got it it was like eight different colors, so it needed something, ANYTHING!) The Krylon comes in brown, green, flat black, and khaki, and some more you don't see at Wally World (though I guess they can order it for you.) They are ULTRA flat which means they aer kinda weird to paint and pick up dirt easily :(

The other one I just did with Rustoleum glosses and scuffed to matte the shine off a bit. The Blazer below is my trail rig and occasional daily driver, and the body is so whacked I didn't really care about end result. I did a bit of cleaning and just free-handed the pattern. These are three blues I picked out of the heck of it, and other than the dark one being a PITA to spray evenly, they're pretty normal.

Both are based on the M1008/1009 CUCV camo patterns, but I took some liberties :D

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I went for more of a foliage look. Just laid down a base coat of olive green, then held various plants from my yard up to it and went over them with different colors. It's all just spray paint from wal-mart.

[​IMG]