Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY frontend work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Mar 2, 2005.

my truck sits a lower on the drivers side and looks like it is closer to the back of the fender than the right!

how would i determine what this is and also how could i raise both sides like an inch or so to bring it up almost level??

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my truck is the same way, left front tire is closer to the back of fender than right. from what i was told it probly came like that from the factory. could be the body isnt sitting true on the frame. you body mounts could be worn out on the one side thats sitting lower, or your leaf spring might be more worn out on one side. i think you can loosen all the body mounts and push the body around a bit to get things lined up better.

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My cab sits the same way, 3/4" lower on the drivers side. I did some measuring and found is the cab. I'd start with a set of bushings and see where that takes you.

Do some measuring first

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck does the same thing. My truck has been wrecked on twice on that side of the frame though and that is part of my problem I am sure. It does not affect track on my truck. The only thing it does was to make me rub that tire more when I am flexing out on stuff.

Harley

4. all the body mounts are fresh (just installed 1" body lift)

is it possible that my front left spring is sagged?
    also ive never replaced a spring can it be done easily in the back yard?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are industrious, swap springs side to side.

I did that for the rear for the same reason (ride height was different) and it still sat the same way.

IMO there is just not much on these trucks with tight tolerances, once everything gets bolted together, there are some pretty serious tolerance issues.

Not to mention the fact there is almost no flat/identical on both sides surface on the vehicle to measure/compare things from.

6. replace one side than the next?
    how long would each side take and any tips on going about this corectly would help!

7. dyeager535

I mean pull the spring off drivers side, put on passenger side, etc.

Don't forget, if one of the rear corners sits high, it will push the opposite front corner down, and so on, so lots of causes for a vehicle to be "visually" uneven.

8. would it make sense to replace just the one?im on a budget also its pretty straight forward huh?

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I think instead of just replaceing it he's suggesting to swap the springs from side to side to see if the problem also goes to the other side. That way you aren't just tossing money into something that might not be the cause.

10. thats alot of work!

11. dyeager535

It's also free and will prove if the springs are the real problem.

12. id ned a few jacks!